Can't get Network Extender to work, Server Error 8C
tromeiser

Just received the Extender today, very excited. Not sure I wanted to spend $249 on it, but decided to try it. Well, so far very unimpressed. Multiple reboots, two chats with tech support wasting two hours of my life with no result, and very little feedback. It takes 10-15 minutes to get a response from the support person each time I answer a question. I thought Verizon had good customer service, but I am very disappointed with this whole thing, and likely going to send this thing back and cancel all of my service. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't get Network Extender to work, Server Error 8C
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand that your time is valuable and always want to ensure you receive the assistance you need. Was the network extender activated on your account? What are you seeing on the device itself?

0 Likes
tromeiser

Every time I restart it, it stops at the same place with the same error message Server Error 8C, consult User Guide. User guide says to restart, then contact Support. I've restarted multiple times and contacted user support twice. The device has never made it completely through set up, that is, it has never achieved complete activation and had devices connected to it.

0 Likes
tromeiser

I just moved the GPS antennae to a better location and I now have 4 solid satellite fixes, but still the same issue, which doesn't surprise me because it had my location with only two-three good satellites before. Same issue, cant get through activation, stops at Server Error 8C, whatever that means. No good guidance in the manual, and I cant get good support from Verizon. About to give up and send this back on Monday. Considering what I am going to do about poor customer service from Verizon on this. This is the first time I have really needed a lot of support on something from Verizon, and I am not impressed. My reason for staying with Verizon up till now and paying a premium was customer service.   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having this stuck at step 8C can take some troubleshooting to resolve. How long was it stuck in this step? - Robert

0 Likes
tromeiser

Its still stuck on that step over 24 hours later. Once it makes it to this step in the setup process it does not move past and remains stuck there. I have not achieved complete activation once yet.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to be sure that your Network Extender works correctly and sent you a Private Note to continue this conversation in private and gather more information. Please reply to the note we sent.

VictorC_VZW

0 Likes
Junkbirds
Enthusiast - Level 2

What was the fix for this?

I have 2 of these devices that I have been working with VZW tech support to get working.  They don't work through the comcast gateway that I have been provided, but they do work if I take them to a friends house and use his connection.  (He own's his modem - it's not a gateway).  It's been weeks and hours upon hours of trying to get past error 8c (which according to the docs is a 403c from the management server!) but no matter what I do here at my house, 8C is as far as I get....

0 Likes
tromeiser

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having the same issue. Even sorrier that I can't give you a solution. Ultimately, I sent it back. I might have continued to try and make it work, but I learned (only after diving into lots of troubleshooting detail online) that my phone would not work with the device anyway. I have an unlocked Moto G6 and in my quest to make this work I came across information that indicated I needed to use the Advanced Calling functionality of my phone. Well, as it turns out, Verizon in their ultimate wisdom does not make that functionality available for unlocked phones. So even if I could have gotten the device working, I would not have been able to use it anyway! Can't make this stuff up!

To their credit, they did refund my money. But I had double and triple checked on this before I ordered it, because it was a lot of money and I wasn't sure it would work. But you can't take it back to a store, you have to ship it back, but Verizon supplied the return label. However, if it was clearer up front that my phone wouldn't work with it anyway, I wouldn't have bothered.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Junkbirds
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get it working but I do want to point out that Unlocked phones absolutely can use/access "Advanced Calling".  Whoever told you that Verizon does not support it for unlocked phones is mistaken.  All carriers must allow it.

The Advanced Calling is exactly what allows your phone to use 4G (LTE) for voice calls.  Unlike previous generations of cellular technology, 4G (and 5G + future) only uses 'data channels', where as 3G (and earlier) has dedicated 'voice channels' for voice calls and it has dedicated 'data channels' for data (surfing the web, etc...).  Advanced calling is also what allows you to makes video calls through the native phone interface, without requiring any additional app/software.

I only buy/use unlocked devices (as a Pixel user, I buy them directly from Google).  I am currently using the 4XL and my wife is using the 2XL, both of us have Advanced calling enabled and both of us have unlocked phones.

Now, as far as my problem getting solved - I have had no luck.  I think I'm going to have them re-provision my old Samsung 4g extender (which worked for nearly 4 years) while I fight to get this new Askey one to work....

-Cheers

0 Likes