why are we using so much data?

jdeshhh

There are two people on my plan. We share 15GB of data monthly. If we are home, we are both connected to WiFi, and If I am at work I am connect to WiFi. When he is at work, he is not connected. He uses it to listen to music when he mows, but that is only one or two days a week for about 2 hours. We are always going over by at least 3GB. I looked at the data used by device and even I'm using 6 or 7GB a month, and I cant understand how, because I am literally at work or at home, where I am connected to WiFi. He has the iPhone 6 and I have the Samsung S5, Can anyone suggest to me how to see what apps might be running in the background using a bunch of data? Is there a way to make certain apps only available when connected to WiFi? I feel like even if he was on his phone all day at work running a bunch of apps, he still should not be using what they say he is using. 18GB of data between two people is astronomical, considering for only about 40 hours a week one phone is not connected to the WiFi.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: why are we using so much data?

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

On each phone go to your Settings, and Data Usage; you should be able to see which apps or processes are using the data.  That IS a lot of data when you are connected to wifi.  I have a Droid Turbo, my daughter has an iPhone 5C; we have a 3GB shared plan and rarely go over 2 GB.  18 GB is huge...you need to see what is using the data and why it's using so much....

Highlighted

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

On each phone go to your Settings, and Data Usage; you should be able to see which apps or processes are using the data.  That IS a lot of data when you are connected to wifi.  I have a Droid Turbo, my daughter has an iPhone 5C; we have a 3GB shared plan and rarely go over 2 GB.  18 GB is huge...you need to see what is using the data and why it's using so much....

Community Manager
Community Manager

Keeping tabs on data usage is an absolute must, Jdeshhh. Thanks for reaching out, we have a handy tool called the Data Utilization Tool which can help narrow down what actions are consuming the most data. Please click here: http://vz.to/1gjp7dj With the devices being connected to WiFi but still using this much data there is a setting that we can check on. On the iPhone, please go to Settings>Cellular/Mobile Data and then ensure that WiFi Assist is turned off. This will limit the device from switching to data when the WiFi signal is not strong. On the Samsung device, please go to Settings>WiFi>click the menu button (three dots in upper right-hand corner)>Advanced>then make sure that Smart Network Switch is turned off. This setting on each device will ensure you are using the WiFi connection instead of switching between WiFi and data. Please keep us posted.

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

I Agree with SuzyQ.   Your phone keeps an independant meter of data use.  If it's using an unusual amount of data it may be an app, or a malfunction of the entire phone.   If it's an app, deleting the app may resolve the problem.  If it seems universal, apps and system, factory resetting the phone may fix it. 

0 Likes

Not applicable

WE ARE BEING THROTTLED IS WHY.