Highlighted

what are reasons to get out of contract without cost, My daughter got married and took her number to AT

My daughter got married and took her number to AT&T ,We paid Her phone off and turned in her
phone. But they still want to charge  120.00 for early cancelation, there was only 21 days before contract expired. And I was told by two different people there would be no cancelation fee

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: what are reasons to get out of contract without cost, My daughter got married and took her number to AT

Sr. Leader

mwl00 wrote:

my daughter was on a edge plane which was tied to my wife's number , so when we paid off the balance and returned the phone ,we did a new edge plan with my wife on her own number. we were told my daughters number

could be transferred to another company with know cancelation fee's , also she got married .not my problem anymore ...lol

This simply means that your wife's line was on an Edge plan. You upgraded your wife's line with a new phone on DPP. Your daughter's line has nothing whatsoever to do with this aside from the fact your wife allowed your daughter to use the phone on her line. This had no effect on your daughter's contract I assume she was under and the reason you had to make the Edge purchase on your wife's line.

Paying off the minimum Edge balance in order to upgrade to a new DPP agreement and returning your old Edge phone as per the Edge agreement STILL has nothing to do with your daughter's line aside from the fact the active Edge phone associated with your wife's line could no longer be use on your daughter's line as it had to be returned in order to satisfy the Edge agreement on your wife's line.

None of the above has any effect on the contract for your daughter's line. The only thing which has an effect on your daughter's line is that she fulfill the complete 2 yr period of the contract for her line. None of the Edge purchases associated with your wife's line had any effect on your daughter's contract and if the contract on your daughter's line had not yet been fulfilled, THAT is why you were charged an ETF for that line.

The new Edge purchase would not have prevented your daughter's line from being ported to another carrier. Whether or not she had completed her contract term COULD have affected that port with/without an ETF. It appears the contract on your daughter's line had not yet been completed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: what are reasons to get out of contract without cost, My daughter got married and took her number to AT

Sr. Leader

There is only one reason that Verizon would waive an ETF:  If you had no service and lived at the same address you did when you started service and had service.  Paying off a phone is fine, means it is now yours, you don't turn in phones to cancel a contract, you only pay the ETF, and $120 sounds right for having 1 billing cycle left.  IOW, you should NOT have turned in the phone, as that does not null the ETF.

0 Likes

Not applicable

I agree I have no clue as to why you turned in the phone. Also if she was on a 2 year contract I'm not sure what you mean by "pay off the phone". Only time you pay off a phone is if you're on a device payment plan. And on a device payment plan there isn't a ETF. So color me confused. In either case you're not required to turn in the device. Should have just waited the 21 days.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Some contract customers used Early Upgrade promotions.  This allowed them to turn in their current contract phone for a DPP phone.  In that case, paying off the phone nixxes the ETF.  For others, they upgraded early, but the contract date was extended, others upgraded on DPPs but the contract was enforced, but not extended.  But, regardless of contract or DPP, the phone is never turned in unless it is a trade-in from an old Edge plan, or just to get some account credit at some point, or if taking on an Early Upgrade and having to turn in the current phone for the ETF.  The account isn't cancelled, the contract is just ceased, so IE...there can be both a contract termination, but the account left open.  These are examples of the backdoor methods customers and reps cook up to get around just finishing a contract or completing an agreement.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Device Upgrade Early Buyout of Agreement  paid - 149.00

Device Upgrade Agreement  (months 19 - 24) Remaining Balance 150.00

Device Upgrade Agreement  (months 19 - 24) Returned Device

I paid the 149.00 and turned phone in per Verizon telling me to. I was also told that there would be no early termination fee if I did this ,in which I did. If I would have known they did not know what they were talking about I would have waited 21 days for contract to end.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I paid the 149.00 and turned phone in per Verizon telling me to. I was also told that there would be no early termination fee if I did this ,in which I did. If I would have known they did not know what they were talking about I would have waited 21 days for contract to end.

0 Likes
Highlighted

sorry duplicate

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

mwl00 wrote:

The key words in your post are "Device Upgrade", i.e. buying a new device with Verizon. You didn't do that, you terminated service.

It sounds as if you were in an Edge agreement and needed to pay $149 in order to bring the percentage of your device paid up to the amount needed in order to upgrade to a new device on the DPP. In this case, you DO need to return your device in order to upgrade, but you DO have to upgrade the device by purchasing a new device on DPP. If you do not, then you would be required to pay the remaining balance due on the phone.

It appears you returned your device as if you were upgrading, but had no intention of upgrading the device. You will have to pay the remaining balance on your Edge agreement.

0 Likes
Highlighted

my daughter was on a edge plane which was tied to my wife's number , so when we paid off the balance and returned the phone ,we did a new edge plan with my wife on her own number. we were told my daughters number

could be transferred to another company with know cancelation fee's , also she got married .not my problem anymore ...lol

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

mwl00 wrote:

This simply means that your wife's line was on an Edge plan. You upgraded your wife's line with a new phone on DPP. Your daughter's line has nothing whatsoever to do with this aside from the fact your wife allowed your daughter to use the phone on her line. This had no effect on your daughter's contract I assume she was under and the reason you had to make the Edge purchase on your wife's line.

Paying off the minimum Edge balance in order to upgrade to a new DPP agreement and returning your old Edge phone as per the Edge agreement STILL has nothing to do with your daughter's line aside from the fact the active Edge phone associated with your wife's line could no longer be use on your daughter's line as it had to be returned in order to satisfy the Edge agreement on your wife's line.

None of the above has any effect on the contract for your daughter's line. The only thing which has an effect on your daughter's line is that she fulfill the complete 2 yr period of the contract for her line. None of the Edge purchases associated with your wife's line had any effect on your daughter's contract and if the contract on your daughter's line had not yet been fulfilled, THAT is why you were charged an ETF for that line.

The new Edge purchase would not have prevented your daughter's line from being ported to another carrier. Whether or not she had completed her contract term COULD have affected that port with/without an ETF. It appears the contract on your daughter's line had not yet been completed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes