verizon over charging for data

LHF

For the last 3 or so months verizon has over charged my mother's account by hundreds of dollars.  Internet service in her area is terrible.  There is no one using social media here as the verizon data utilization claims.  Anyone else have this problem?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: verizon over charging for data

Acrillix

Just so you know, data is charged on how much you agree to purchase, and there is an overage fee attached to that. It is cheaper to just upgrade the plan VS paying the $15/GB overage fee. Social media can include (but not limited to) Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.

If she is going over data, my suggestion would either to be to add FamilyBase which is $4.99/month and will allow her to limit the data to her data plan so she virtually can not go over.

Another option (if she is on the New Verizon Plan) would be to add Safety Mode. It's a free option that basically throttles your data after you use up your data plan to 2G speeds and you can use virtually unlimited data without paying overages.

0 Likes

LHF

Yes I understand the limit on data.  I will be more specific.  No one here uses ANY social media. NONE.  And no streaming shows or movies.  What on earth can use that much data?  An occasional news video?? We have jetpack wifi.  It always says "data usage not available".  The connection is not great.  Sometimes to get mail it loads and reloads.  To get online sometimes it loads and reloads.  So we have no "proof"  to satisfy verizon and will have to pay more each month to get cut off??? 

0 Likes

Acrillix

The Jetpack issue with displaying the data usage is a known issue and has been for awhile. The thing I would keep in mind is the Jetpack runs off the data plan you have on your account and if you have it attached to a Windows PC or laptop and Windows does it's famous daily updates then you will use a lot of data doing that. I would ensure that you have update automatically disabled. If you can screenshot the Data Utilization and My Usage so we can see it here, we may be able to come to a resolution.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

LHF wrote:

We have jetpack wifi. It always says "data usage not available". The connection is not great. Sometimes to get mail it loads and reloads. To get online sometimes it loads and reloads.

This could be a clue as to your higher than expected data usage. If something partially loads "halfway" and then has to reload again from the start, you have just used 1.5x the data it would have actually needed had it not "reloaded". You do this enough times you can start racking up some big data numbers.

If Verizon coverage for your mother is so dismal, you may be better off looking for a provider which has better coverage in her home. Does your mother not have access to a landline data provider? That is a much more cost effective way to provide data in her home.

0 Likes

raypug

I just got my bill for this month and we also had huge data overages, specifically on 3 lines on our account, one line registered almost 10gb and this is someone who historically barely uses 1gb, Verizon game me some lame excuses why it was happening, and its not even an Iphone where WiFi assist would be a problem. There have been some articles recently where customers have been overcharges for data on verizon.

lewisr13
Leader

Maybe try monitoring your usage, it's actually kind of helpful. Turn on alerts, that helps as well.Then you'll know in advance if there are issues.

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

raypug wrote:

I just got my bill for this month and we also had huge data overages, specifically on 3 lines on our account,

Does this mean you have more than 3 lines on your account? If so, don't you find it odd that Verizon would overcharge only 3 of the lines on your account? If Verizon were to "overcharge" you, it would seem they would do so on all lines of your account, instead of just a few of them.

raypug wrote:

one line registered almost 10gb and this is someone who historically barely uses 1gb, Verizon game me some lame excuses why it was happening, and its not even an Iphone

This makes things even easier. Go into the settings on your phone under data usage. Set the billing cycle to coincide with your own billing cycle. This will then tell you how much data each app has used for the current billing cycle along with the 2 previous cycles. If any apps are using an unusually large amount of data, go into the settings on those apps and check to make sure there are no settings which would maximize data usage. ANYTIME an app updates, it can change its own settings where it would use more data than what you would like. Just as an example, I had my Facebook settings such that videos would NEVER play automatically. After an update, that setting was changed to auto play on wifi and cellular. THAT can increase data usage drastically even though nothing I did had changed. Whether or not you use Facebook, many other apps could have made similar changes.

0 Likes

TONSTE62

Yes the do and it keeps getting higher. chenging to new carrier when contract expires.

0 Likes