Re: unexplained cellular data usage every six hours

tpfro

I've seen the "every 6 hour" phenomenon over the past few years as well and have been trying to figure it out.  Here's what I think is a counterexample to your claim about having a "reporting interval" every 6 hours...I had thought that too, but I am not convinced.

Some background: we now have an unlimited plan, so I don't care as much about this happening any more, but it still does, at least on some lines.  Back in the day we spent a lot of time locking down apps so they would only work over WiFi and making sure app updates only took place on WiFi etc. but those efforts didn't always help much, if at all.  I still can't explain why this happens, and think people who are frustrated about this have a legitimate gripe - it's tough and time-consuming to figure out which applications or the OS use data at what time - and separating out WiFi usage from cellular usage is not a simple task either.  Here's an idea for an aspiring app developer - create an application can can show all data usage over time, and be able to distinguish between WiFi and cellular data on a per-app basis.  That'd be awesome!

Here's one of our lines where there's one instance of the 6 hour "accumulation" or whatever it is, but there are also a bunch of other increments that happen at "random" times.  All values in MB.

Here's another line where the 6 hour increments are obvious.  If I was a user on a plan with limits, this would drive me nuts.@

mama23dogs​ - can you make any sense of this?

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

The Android phones already track the data usage per type and continuously through the billing cycle.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

ladaddy44

My wife and I are experiencing this EXACT issue. Identical phones. We turn apps off after using, cellular assist is turned off, we're always on wifi. Two days into our new cycle 25% of our 12GB plan is used up. It's all from her phone. Verizon says it's all from video but all of her video watching (maybe 10 minutes max) was done while on wifi with a strong signal. Still trying to figure it out.

0 Likes

boringusername

@ladaddy44 wrote:

My wife and I are experiencing this EXACT issue. Identical phones. We turn apps off after using, cellular assist is turned off, we're always on wifi. Two days into our new cycle 25% of our 12GB plan is used up. It's all from her phone. Verizon says it's all from video but all of her video watching (maybe 10 minutes max) was done while on wifi with a strong signal. Still trying to figure it out.

Your phone will tell you EXACTLY which apps are using data. No offense but how do you not know how to find that out already. Stop using the Verizon app to tell you. So no it's shouldn't be a mystery your phone has the answer if you bother to look for it. Also I assume you have iphones which are notroiuos for turning off wi-fi once the screen cut off. So if you have backgorund apps that are on that could be the reason

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

I can see how diminishing data can be extremely confusing, so I am eager to help. Let's collect more clues. What model phones do you have? What steps did you take to turn off your cellular assist? What changes has your wife made on her phone? What new apps has she downloaded?

AkaneM_VZW

0 Likes