Re: unexplained cellular data usage every six hours

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

normajprice

if you read the thread, I wrote if the data usage on the phones agree with the data usage reports on your Verizon Account, then the data was used.   Read the really long post.  It covers defective phones or apps, which only you can fix And is not the carriers responsibility.

Read the check book analogy

The carrier is only at fault if the data usage on the phone is no where near the usage reported to your account.  Mistakes happen, but it’s very rare.   And it’s pretty much up to you to prove the negative.

0 Likes

normajprice

I read your post. No help. My husbands phone is exactly the same as mine and configured the same. How come his does not use excessive data? It is NOT true that the phones transmit data at certain time because my phone has never done this in the 2 years I have had it. It started 11 days ago. My husband phone has never used data in the middle of the night - EVER. Something weird is going on.

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Your response means you did not read my (ridiculous long) post carefully enough.  I know it’s a pain, but there is a lot of useful information in there.

Identical phones with identical settings doesn’t mean there isn’t a app he has you don’t, or that his phone isn’t  malfunctioning While yours if fine.  Just because it didn’t happen before means nothing.

As for data reporting, it is REPORTING, not USE.  Reporting mean when the carrier posts your use on your account.  Data is transmitted from your phone to towers when you are not on Wifi.  Read the checkbook analogy.  My data reports both ways, depending on what apps are used.  Streaming video or audio while driving reports Both batched in 3 hour intervals and continuous.  Usually the batched data is a larger amount of data at a time. 

Im going to repeat, if the phone says it used pretty much the same as Verizon, then the phone DID use the data.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

normajprice You have received a lot of good information from mama23dogs. Let's see if we can dig a little deeper. Do you have all the same apps your husband does? Do you use the phone in the same manner? Have you checked the data usage on your phone?

DeloresK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

NELROCK

I read the long post.

I will say, I'm no fan of coincidence, and a google search hits on a fair number or people saying similar.

The reason I'm on this thread...10% of our data gone in 3 days. Never happened before.
So I start looking. I see all these weird data hits...in 6 hours increments...spanning back the last 90 days of usage that is available to see.
At night...when sleeping...in house...we have complete wifi coverage in the house.
My wife and I's phones.
Suddenly...last billing cycle...mine stops. Inexplicably. No change to the phone. No apps deleted. No app installed. No setting changed. My wife's has continued, and her data spikes have increased in size.
We've generally use about 1/2 our data in a given month. This month, we're on pace to exceed, for the first time...ever.
I totally get what mama23dogs is saying. I've started looking and monitoring closer. But, like I said, there's an awful lot of these reports. The intervals are freaky.
My tinfoil hat says its a way to push people in to unlimited plans.
If the data shows up...and it's on my phone...and I used it...then why did it just stop suddenly? When I haven't changed a single thing? Well...I hope it stopped anyway. I have a clean billing period, and so far, nothing this period. My wife's on the other hand...

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You may have missed a few things in my post.

1.  If your phone and Verizon have similar data count, your phone did use that much data.  

2.   Data is generally reported after usage stops.  So it’s normal to have batched use at night while you are on Wifi and asleep.  See the check analogy - checks Written during the day clear the Account overnight after deposit. 

3.  The phone is not the same, the apps are not the same.  OS and app updates can impact data use.

0 Likes

NELROCK

I'm not saying the phone didn't do it. My suspicion is whether is did it due to something I have control over or not.
When data is reported...how does it go about that? Does it use my data to send it?
Because, we have a 3rd phone we were going to surprise a kid with. Reset to factory. No apps. Everything that can be disabled/set to off...is off.
At some point during the night, it used 125kb.
Data usage under Cellular, System Services, Push Notifications...125kb.

I realize that isn't significant...but...if all our phones were setup the same...125kb x number of phones x days in billing cycle...adds up.

So it's a fair question people are asking. Is this Apple's iOS...or is this Verizon? To say the data got used isn't the relevant point. Why did it get used? Nobody seems to want to try to answer that. Or maybe they know...and don't want to say?

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

NELROCK wrote:

I'm not saying the phone didn't do it. My suspicion is whether is did it due to something I have control over or not.

You might.  Apps have settings which control how much data they use.  Social media, email, music or video streaming can be adjusted within the app to use less data.
When data is reported...how does it go about that? Does it use my data to send it?

Data use is collected each time your phone connects to a tower.  Towers report back when your phone disconnects, when you close an app, turn off your phone, or connect to Wifi (disconnect from all towers).  Your phone doesn’t do the reporting, the towers do.  Usually at intervals in batches.  I often see batches reporting at 9 pm, midnight 3 am and 6 am. 
Because, we have a 3rd phone we were going to surprise a kid with. Reset to factory. No apps. Everything that can be disabled/set to off...is off.
At some point during the night, it used 125kb.  Understand that’s a tiny amount of data.  1/12 of a mb and it takes 1024 mb to make a gigabyte. 
Data usage under Cellular, System Services, Push Notifications...125kb.

I realize that isn't significant...but...if all our phones were setup the same...125kb x number of phones x days in billing cycle...adds up.

If all 3 phones, every day, it adds up to 1/10th of a gig. 

So it's a fair question people are asking. Is this Apple's iOS...or is this Verizon? To say the data got used isn't the relevant point. Why did it get used? Nobody seems to want to try to answer that. Or maybe they know...and don't want to say?

The answer is always in your settings under cellular usage.  How much are apps using?  System? Does it match within a reasonable amount Verizon totals?  Most of the time we don’t realize what is using data.  Did you know Siri uses data?  Uh, huh...  

Until you do the digging the assumption is the carrier is correct.   Kind of like the IRS, we have to prove we used less than the carrier claims.

0 Likes

Gazalle

Let me start by saying I accept that this is not a problem with VZN, but here is some additional info that indicates a correlation with being within a particular VZN coverage area.  Perhaps this might shed light for someone to suggest how we can determine root cause and address it.

We are having the same 6-hr cellular data usage issue, with just one of the phones on our account, our son's.  He set up all apps to use WiFi when available, but we still had these large, regular cycles of cellular data usage, even when the phone was in the house connected to the WiFi.

But here is the twist.

We live in Houston.  He went off to College Station for school in August, and the problem abruptly ceased.  College Station is 80-90 miles from Houston.  He came home to Houston for a weekend, and it immediately resumed.  Then he returned to College Station, and it stopped.

And here is some additional data that indicates a correlation with what I'll call "Houston VZN Airspace," to indicate that the problem seems not to directly correlate with being on the household WiFi or not.

He came to Houston on 26 Oct.  He departed College Station around 11:30-12:00; he got to the house about 13:30-14:00.  But the large consumption of cellular data started at 12:44, and continued every 6 hours (18:44, 00:44, 06:43, 12:43....) throughout the weekend, with the first batch being the largest.

So the cycle started somewhere between College Station and Houston, before he got onto the house WiFi.

He left our house on 28 Oct about 16:00, but made other stops in the Houston area before getting on the road to College Station.  The last data batch in the series occurred 28 Oct at 18:42, well after he had left our house, but while he was still in the Houston area.  Once he was out of the Houston area, the cycle stopped, and has not resumed.

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You’re  accepting, but not understanding.  You are saying “usage”, when it’s REPORTING of past usage.

Read post 3, “how it works”.   Read the checkbook analogy.

I also use the measuring cup analogy.  Lets say I want to measure how much water coming out of the tap.  Run water into a measuring cup, and ask you to read how much water is in the cup. The problem is the cup is small and you can’t tell me while the water is running constantly.  So the best way is to turn off the water, get an accurate measure, dump the cup, Note the amount, and turn on water to measure again.

No carrier controls data use, and only partially control when data is collected and posted to your account.  Some of the control is up to roaming partners.

let’s look at your andcdote “He came to Houston on 26 Oct.  He departed College Station around 11:30-12:00; he got to the house about 13:30-14:00.  But the large consumption of cellular data started at 12:44, and continued every 6 hours (18:44, 00:44, 06:43, 12:43....) throughout the weekend, with the first batch being the largest.”. 

So you account shows large data pools posted over the weekend while he was home.  But the delay in posting means data was used up to 3 days prior.   The first batch was larger, because the bulk of his use on the road was posted.  The rest trickled in over the weekend. 

Again, read and understand the checkbook analogy so you don’t confuse what is posted today, with what is used today.  Today’s use may post over the next 3 days. 

0 Likes