Highlighted

public wi-fi vs cellular data

Novice

I have an MLB.com app called "At Bat" on my iphone. While at home connected to my wi-fi I can watch an entire 3 hr. game and not use any cellular data. However, the other day while connected to a public wi-fi I went over my data limit and was charged $15. I've used other wi-fi's before and never got charged data. Any ideas why I got charged this time ?

Richie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: public wi-fi vs cellular data

Customer Support

Thank you for reaching out to us in this community forum, richie72846. We are sorry to hear about your recent data usage surprise. We always want you to be in control of your usage. Wi-Fi assist, as previously mentioned by Ann154 and lukevinyl, helps you when having issues with your Wi-Fi connection. If your speeds drop, Wi-Fi assist enables your device to use data to finish the connection or download. When dealing with High quality streaming, you can see usage of up to 1GB for every 30 minutes. There is a chance that if your Wi-Fi connection was weak, and your data was doing most of the work. This could have been the reason for the increase. We recommend keeping this feature off to ensure there is no unwanted usage. Have you seen this kind of usage before? What kind of iPad do you have?

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Is Wi-Fi Assist active on the phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

As Ann154​ mentioned, with wifi assist enabled on device (Settings>Cellular>Wifi Assist) if connection speed lowers or connection becomes unstable or drops momentarily it will "hand-off" to cellular data use, causing what you are seeing so this is most likely the issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

I'm sorry, I meant to say on my iPad, but I'm sure it makes no difference and yes it is enabled. I still don't see how I used so much data. I have watched a 3 hr. game before on cellular and it used only 1gb. This time it used 3 gb. and I went over because of it. Why such a difference ?

richie

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Poor Wi-Fi connection. Watching in HD versus SD. Could be a number of reasons or combination of things.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

No problem- it is the same whether on phone or tablet. With wifi assist enabled this is almost guaranteed to be the reason. Now the difference in data used when it used 1GB and more recently the 3GB could be due to a number of things but is most likely the result of a different stream quality. Think HD vs. standard definition.... Do you recall a difference in picture quality or even remember watching the most recent in high definition? If it wasn't something that you selected or had the option of choosing between stream definition types, the game was just likely broadcast in a higher stream quality.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Actually, the picture quality was worse and kept buffering.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

With your device's Wifi assist, your phone will always connect to the strongest and fastest connection available. You've mentioned being on this WiFi source before with not seeing this issue, as member Ann154 alluded to, there can be a dozen reasons why this issue did not occur the first time you were connected. One such cause could be other people were connected to that Wifi source, which caused the connection to be slower.

To ensure you do not see overages, you can disable WiFi assist or Cellular data altogether, or update the plan. Please let us know what sounds like a reasonable solution to you as we are definitely here to support you. TylerK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Thank you for reaching out to us in this community forum, richie72846. We are sorry to hear about your recent data usage surprise. We always want you to be in control of your usage. Wi-Fi assist, as previously mentioned by Ann154 and lukevinyl, helps you when having issues with your Wi-Fi connection. If your speeds drop, Wi-Fi assist enables your device to use data to finish the connection or download. When dealing with High quality streaming, you can see usage of up to 1GB for every 30 minutes. There is a chance that if your Wi-Fi connection was weak, and your data was doing most of the work. This could have been the reason for the increase. We recommend keeping this feature off to ensure there is no unwanted usage. Have you seen this kind of usage before? What kind of iPad do you have?

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!   

View solution in original post

0 Likes