Highlighted

huge data overages?

verizon has been charging data overages on my plan since March ! when discussing this at work it seems this has happened to everyone !  My company atlantic health employs 10s of thousands of employees and we are going to see if it is a problem for all of us.  Is there some explanation ? 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: huge data overages?

Sr. Leader

Bitsymac wrote:

Yes, I'm suffering the same data overage issue. In a matter of 5 minutes this morning I was told I was 1, 2 and then 3 GB over the 15GB in my plan. I was reading an article on Facebook at the time.

Do you ever check the settings in the apps on your phone? Facebook is a notorious user of data. Auto Play of videos in your Facebook feed can add a LARGE amount of data usage to your account. Photos you take with your phone set to auto-upload to your Facebook photo library can add a LARGE amount of data usage to your account. Each and every time your Facebook app is updated gives Facebook another chance to change the settings in the app on your device. Of course other apps can contribute to data usage gone wild. Have you checked your device to see which apps your phone says are actually using the most data?

I have 5 lines(2 android, 2 iPhone and 1 smartwatch) on my account with 15 GB of shared data. We have NEVER gone over our data allowance, but I also check the app settings on the devices for my account, ESPECIALLY if there is ever an unexplained spike in data usage.

The most recent spike was earlier this month after my daughter went back to college. I called her to inquire and she had simply not gotten around to setting up the wifi in her apartment and was instead using cellular data for the previous week. She set wifi up and usage is back to normal with 3 days left in our billing cycle and still ~3 GB UNDER our monthly allowance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

ampho, 

Overages are never a fun thing to have to deal with. There are many ways to keep track of your data usage:

->Your My Verizon Application or online at vzw.com You can view a breakdown of when data is being used (time, date) and how much (broken down by GB, MB, KBs)

->Use the Data Utilization Tool: http://vz.to/1bjfmZO  Will give you a general idea of what apps/websites have been using data

->You cell phone's Settings. You can usually view a break down of applications data usage to help pinpoint specifics. It will depend on your smartphone though.

Any further questions a rep will be happy to look into your usage at any of our support teams: http://vz.to/1duYot2

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

What in the world is Verizon doing?  I pay over $251 to this company per month for three lines.  I am at my wit's end with them about data.  I haven't sent hardly anything on my line, and neither have the other two lines.  I just got a text saying my data is about used up and there are 25 days left in my billing cycle.  On top of that, I hit something and now they've added another $20 to my bill.  I'm ready to just walk away and give up my cell phones forever.  Who can afford this?!!

Highlighted

Highlighted

Customer Support

DGK4711-

We certainly value your loyalty and we want to continue having you in our family. As a consumer myself, I understand having overages can be concerning so I would like to personally assist with your account. Please respond to my Private Message to further assist.

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Highlighted

Yes, I'm suffering the same data overage issue.  In a matter of 5 minutes this morning I was told I was 1, 2 and then 3 GB over the 15GB in my plan.  I was reading an article on Facebook at the time.  Last month I was over my plan by 2 GB for the first time.  My usage hasn't changed and, for how I use my internet and phone, I shouldn't be getting these overages and there is no explanation for why this is happening.  I'm glad to know I'm not alone, but am looking into another carrier that doesn't tack on extra data and charges.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Bitsymac wrote:

Yes, I'm suffering the same data overage issue. In a matter of 5 minutes this morning I was told I was 1, 2 and then 3 GB over the 15GB in my plan. I was reading an article on Facebook at the time.

Do you ever check the settings in the apps on your phone? Facebook is a notorious user of data. Auto Play of videos in your Facebook feed can add a LARGE amount of data usage to your account. Photos you take with your phone set to auto-upload to your Facebook photo library can add a LARGE amount of data usage to your account. Each and every time your Facebook app is updated gives Facebook another chance to change the settings in the app on your device. Of course other apps can contribute to data usage gone wild. Have you checked your device to see which apps your phone says are actually using the most data?

I have 5 lines(2 android, 2 iPhone and 1 smartwatch) on my account with 15 GB of shared data. We have NEVER gone over our data allowance, but I also check the app settings on the devices for my account, ESPECIALLY if there is ever an unexplained spike in data usage.

The most recent spike was earlier this month after my daughter went back to college. I called her to inquire and she had simply not gotten around to setting up the wifi in her apartment and was instead using cellular data for the previous week. She set wifi up and usage is back to normal with 3 days left in our billing cycle and still ~3 GB UNDER our monthly allowance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Bitsymac, I can understand your concern. I want to make sure that you have more than enough data for your account each month. Rcschnoor has provided some good step son check the usage on the phone. Auto-play has been a major cause for increase for data usage on cellular devices. You can always turn that off by going into Facebook, App Settings, and make sure that Auto-play is set to either Never Autoplay or on Wi-Fi Connections Only.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I too have seen my data usage go up on my jetpack from 10Gb a month to 18Gb last month. i have the Facebook Video setting turned off, I never stream any videos. I basically use it for emails, online banking and bill paying, and Facebook. This is exactly what I've ALWAYS used it for. When I called to get an explanation, I was told to take the batteries out of it when I'm not using it. Come on! This is a major hassle and if I forget to do it overnight, I'm pinged literally every minute. Something is wrong with this.

Highlighted

Customer Support

SPPPT46540, we do not want you to have date issues as well. Let's look into this more together. It is never acceptable to remove the battery as a option. What kind of phone do you have? How long have you had these issues?

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes