Highlighted

edge program.... taxes up front and taxes in monthly bill?

tocsrechno

i initially payed all sales tax on my phone when i purchased it under the edge program.

why does my monthly bill have also have a sales tax on it?

what line items are actually being taxed?

Am i being double taxed again for my phone?

(Texas sales tax)

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes

Re: edge program.... taxes up front and taxes in monthly bill?

Community Manager
Community Manager

tocsrechno we'll make sure everything adds up! Normally the taxes are added to the first bill based off the full retail price of the device. Where did you originally start Edge i.e. in-store, online, over the phone?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes

tocsrechno

I purchased it at a brick and mortar. Paid 8.25% sales tax on full retail of phones up front.

0 Likes

tocsrechno

can you please provide me details on what chargeable line items on my bill gets sales taxed?

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the details tocsrechno. You are charged taxes for the monthly access charges only after the first bill. On your bill immediately under the charge for the Edge device on the first bill only it should show taxes. On the next bill the taxes will only be billed for your line access charge as is normal with any lind of service. Have you received 2 bills since being on Edge?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

I assume you are on the More Everything plan. Only the line access fee is charged tax.

How much are your Edge payments? How much are you being taxed?

Have you looked at your old bills PRIOR to entering into an Edge agreement? Are the monthly taxes higher now than before the Edge agreement? I would guess the monthly taxes are LOWER since you get a discount on the line access fee. With the discount, your line access fee will be lower and therefore your tax on the monthly access fee will be lower.

tocsrechno

thank for the explanation  rcschnoor

my total sales tax is $6.44 on bill

texas is 8.25% sales tax

that totals $78.06 being taxed

i have 2 phones on edge more everything plan 10gb shared data

phone1= $29.31 /month

phone2= $23.06 /month

even more confusing is when i look at the details per phone:

phone1= $2.44 sales tax

phone2= $4.00 sales tax

this is my first bill with verizon and with edge

there are a few prorated charges which i understand.

my total bill = $190.99 with 3 days prorated and 1 month in advance.

i just dont understand where the taxed $78.06 is coming from.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Are you simply looking at your billing SUMMARY or the details of your bill. Tax will be broken down in details.

For example, on my most recent bill the total "Taxes, Governmental Surcharges & Fees " for my bill come to $16.32 for 4 lines($4.08/line). That number certainly sounds high considering it is 10.2% on a $40 line access fee, however when I look at the DETAILS for those "Taxes, Governmental Surcharges & Fees " by line, it comes to:

Public Safety Comm Surchg      $1.20
Cnty 911 Surchg                       $0.30
State Sales Tax-Telecom          $1.29
Cnty Sales Tax-Telecom           $1.29

This makes the actual SALES TAX on the $40 line access fee to be $2.58 or 6.45% on the $40 line access fee. On top of the tax you also have 911 surcharge and public safety surcharge to make the total tax percentage a lot higher than the actual sales tax.

Additionally, the amount you are charged/line for your monthly charges will ALSO be broken down further than simply the $29.31 and $23.06 values you have listed.

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Oops, I am guessing now that the $29.31 and $23.06 values are your Edge payments and not your line charges for the 2 lines. If that is the case, those values will probably not be broken down in more detail on your bill.

tocsrechno

the sales tax that I listed is from the detailed for each phone line.

I'm not counting surcharges and other fees which I consider to be a fixed amount.

it might be weird because this is my first bill maybe I will wait for the second bill and see if it is correct.

thank you for all your help and information

0 Likes