Highlighted

early edge vs waiting until my upgrade

I tried to sign up for early edge yesterday and then was informed that I had to turn my current phone in to verizon. I'm using a galaxy s4 and it has a small nick on the right hand corner, screen is not damaged at all. I bought this phone off of amazon and not through verizon so I really don't think that it is fair to have to turn in something that i did not buy from them. If I wait until after my upgrade date which is at the end of August will I still have to turn my phone in, I would rather sell it and make a few bucks since it is paid for. My contract ends in October. Do I need to wait until then or does it really matter

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: early edge vs waiting until my upgrade

Sr. Leader

I agree with bizzareone. You are far better off waiting. If you wait until after your upgrade date, you will not need to turn the phone in.

The reason Verizon has a valid reason for claiming the phone if you Early Edge, is when you bought the phone from Amazon, you did not pay anywhere near the actual price of the phone, but the phone was subsidized by Verizon (which actually transferred money to Amazon for the subsidy on the phone to make up the cost of the full price). That is why you are under contract and there is an early termination fee or requirement to send the phone in, so Verizon can recoup the subsidy it had to pay for you to get a cheaper phone.

When you are done, calculate out your 24 month costs for Edge and contract. Depending on how much data you have and what phone you get, it is usually cheaper in the short and long term to do Edge rather than another contract.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Even though you didnt get the device from Verizon, the reason you have to turn it in is the EARLY Edge. If yuo are still in your contract and then do the early edge, you turn in the phone to compinsate the difference since your contract is not over yet. if you wait till the end of the contract then you do not have to turn in the phone.

Your better off waiting a little. (the note 5 should be out by halloween)

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I agree with bizzareone. You are far better off waiting. If you wait until after your upgrade date, you will not need to turn the phone in.

The reason Verizon has a valid reason for claiming the phone if you Early Edge, is when you bought the phone from Amazon, you did not pay anywhere near the actual price of the phone, but the phone was subsidized by Verizon (which actually transferred money to Amazon for the subsidy on the phone to make up the cost of the full price). That is why you are under contract and there is an early termination fee or requirement to send the phone in, so Verizon can recoup the subsidy it had to pay for you to get a cheaper phone.

When you are done, calculate out your 24 month costs for Edge and contract. Depending on how much data you have and what phone you get, it is usually cheaper in the short and long term to do Edge rather than another contract.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank You guys, I'm going to try and stick out until the Note comes out. I just hope that my phone will hold up that long. It has been screwed up since the lollipop update.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I agree with Weth and Bizzareone...if you Early Edge you lose your current phone and the money you might have sold it for, plus, you only get one choice of phone, at Verizon's choosing and most likely still the Droid Turbo.  To add, you can be in a 3+ month long go-around with getting your S4 back to Vzw and them receiving it and then evaluating it, and could still be on the hook for $299+ depending on whether they accept it or not.  At that point, you'd have a $600+ phone AND a $299+ charge.