Highlighted

do i have to pay an activation fee if i buy a phone directly from samsung?

I want to buy a new phone, but I  want to know if I buy the phone directly from samsung.com (selecting Verizon as my carrier) will I have to pay the activation fee? Will my phone number stay the same? Will my plan stay the same? The only change I'm making is buying a new device, and I'm paying for it in full.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: do i have to pay an activation fee if i buy a phone directly from samsung?

Sr. Leader

The only activation fee that's charged is when you start a new line of service with Verizon.  Since your line is already active, there will be no activation fee, regardless of where you purchase the phone.

You may be speaking of an "upgrade" fee that Verizon charges when using an eligible line to purchase a phone on contract.  That would not apply here either, since you are paying full price for the phone.  Your phone number will stay the same. you will just be activating the new ohone on your current line of service.

View solution in original post

Sr. Leader

The only activation fee that's charged is when you start a new line of service with Verizon.  Since your line is already active, there will be no activation fee, regardless of where you purchase the phone.

You may be speaking of an "upgrade" fee that Verizon charges when using an eligible line to purchase a phone on contract.  That would not apply here either, since you are paying full price for the phone.  Your phone number will stay the same. you will just be activating the new ohone on your current line of service.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the info. I've just been confused because someone at a Verizon store told me I'd have to pay a one time $30 fee if I buy the phone in the store, regardless if buy it outright or do monthly payments. I guess they did call it an upgrade fee, but it just seemed weird that I wouldn't pay it if I buy the phone from Samsung, but keep it on my current plan.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

There is an upgrade fee for existing lines using DPP and full retail price purchases as well. It is called an Upgrade Fee not an Activation Fee.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

THIS IS garbage!

VERIZON CHARGES FOR ACTIVATION FEES NO MATTER IS YOU ARE A CUSTOMER FOR 20 YRS  OR NEW CUSTOMER. I AM TELLING YOU THIS BY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

THEY DONT CARE HOW BUT THEY ONLY WANT TO MAKE MONEY!

0 Likes
Highlighted

My understanding of when an activation/upgrade fee has to be paid or not. Please let me know if this correct.

NEW CUSTOMER
1. Buy new phone, new line - PAY activation fee. 

2. Bring your own phone, new line - PAY activation fee.

EXISTING CUSTOMER
3. Buy phone from Verizon outright - PAY activation fee.

4. Buy phone from Verizon by upgrading existing line - PAY upgrade fee.

5. Buy phone from Verizon adding new line - PAY activation fee.

6. Bring your own phone to swap out current phone on existing line - NO activation fee/upgrade fee.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Correction #6 and confirmation from Verizon agent. 

6. Bring your own phone to swap out current phone on existing line - PAY activation fee UNLESS this phone has been once activated already on your account. 

The ONLY time you do not pay activation fee is if your device has already been activated on your Verizon account once before and all you are doing is switching from current to different owned device. 

Basically expect to pay activation fee any time you are bringing a never been activated before device to your account. 

Screenshot_20200905-080308_My Verizon.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-080319_My Verizon.jpg

0 Likes