disappointed long time customer
cgolden5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm very disappointed that there is no longer an early upgrade option. I've been a Verizon wireless customer for 15 years and can't help but feel like that loyalty is taken for granted.

The power/lock button on my current phone is broken but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until September. Previously I could have upgraded at this point but now I have to choose between using a broken phone for 2 months or paying an extra ~$500 for a new phone. It feels that Verizon cares very little about their clients and only care about profits.

I used to have a much more positive image of Verizon but that is eroding quickly. I'm also a fios customer and was originally very excited about my switch from Comcast - but now Verizon is guilty of many of the same customer service issues that plague Comcast. I'm at the point of hoping for a legitimate replacement provider to become available for cell and tv service. It's extremely disappointing and frustrating to deal with.

Also, really awesome that they don't have an email address for customer service. Using the forums is way better because it involves more steps and is way less of a direct way to interact.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: disappointed long time customer
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

While I'm sure they are grateful you stuck around, no matter what carrier you go to, they are going to have the same rules. If they bend them for you, what happens when someone else comes along who hasn't been a customer as long, should they not be treated just as well? Or are you privileged? How loyal can someone be that they are waiting for something better to come along because the rules won't be broken for them.

You can contact Verizon directly:

Contact Us | Verizon Wireless

You also have the option to purchase a used phone from somewhere like www.swappa.com or see if a friend has a loaner you can use for 2 months. Buy a good enough used phone and in 2 months you can sign up for the month to month discount of $25 and ride that out until the used phone breaks and then use your upgrade.

0 Likes
cgolden5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Where did I say that I want the rules to be broken for me? I simply said

that I'm very disappointed that they've changed long standing policies that

have been in place since I started working with them 15 years ago. I also

stated that their customer service - which used to be second to none - has

become an issue as of late. I'm very brand loyal and want to continue to

work with Verizon, but they are making it difficult to do so. They are

shifting away from many of the policies and services that made them a

superior company to work with. Thanks for your input though

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It's fair to be disappointed, but saying your a loyal customer and that you're looking for something better in the same breath is more than disappointment.

Other than them not being able to do what you want them to, how has their customer service become an issue as of late?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Cgolden5,

15 years of loyalty is awesome! We would be heart broken if you decided to leave. We know having a properly working phone is important. Every Verizon Wireless customer is eligible for new discounted equipment every 24 months. With our New Edge program your can Upgrade at 100% paid off http://vz.to/1mYDhk7 . We offer device insurance to cover accidental damage, and a 1year manufacturer warranty with an option to purchase an extended warranty for electronic malfunction. You can sign into your MyVerizon account to see if any early equipment offers are available for your line http://bit.ly/xB4iTc . We can continue to troubleshoot the device as well. What is broken with the powe/lock button? When did the issue start? What device make/model?

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cgolden5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I have a Samsung galaxy s4. The power/lock button is not functional and

hasn't been for about 2-3 weeks. It hasn't been too big a deal but my WiFi

also stopped working 3 days ago. I believe restarting the phone should

likely fix that issue but I can't restart it without a functioning power

button.

I'm just under 22 months into the 24 month contract. In the past we always

had the option of an early upgrade (I believe at 20 months) but apparently

that has been eliminated in favor of the Edge plan. My understanding of the

edge plan is that you pay the full retail price of the phone over 24

months, but the plan/contract still contains the phone subsidy that used to

go along with the "new every 2" promotional pricing. That means you're

paying the full retail price and an additional (somewhat hidden) monthly

changed towards the cost of a phone. Is that right?

On Jul 12, 2015 10:22 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It use to be you could upgrade 30 days early.

The Edge program does make you pay full price for the phone, but then you see a $15 or $25 discount on the line access fee; regularly $40 on a 2 year plan making it $15 on a data plan with 6GB or more of data and $25 on a 4GB or lower data plan.

Depending on the device you get, and the plan you have, those will determine if the Edge program is for you. Ideally you want to buy a phone with the same payment amount as what you're saving each month. For instance I have a 6GB plan, so I'm saving $25 on the line access fee, and also making a $22 payment toward Edge.

I would have spent $240 (2 year phone price) + $960 (2 year line access fee) = $1,200 on a 2 year contract.

Instead I spent $500 (Edge Phone) + $360 (Edge Line access fee) = $860 so I saved myself $340 of the course of 2 years by signing up with Edge.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

NO, you subtract the phone subsidy of $15 or $25 depending on how much data in your plan x<5<y.  Edge is usually cheaper over 24 months and gives you more options if your phone breaks early. 

0 Likes
cgolden5
Enthusiast - Level 2

At this point it doesn't seem like there is anything I can do about getting a new phone through Verizon other than paying full retail (plus a monthly phone subsidy?) or opting the Edge plan (doesn't make sense for me).

I'm thinking my best move is to get a replacement through a site like Gazelle and just activate it on my current plan. Does anyone have experience or feedback on getting a phone from Gazelle? My thinking is that I'll have a used but functioning phone without having to lock into an extension with Verizon. I've never explored this option in the past (or expected to do so) so I'm not sure if I'm missing anything.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I have never used Gazelle, but Swappa is a good site as well with good reviews. 

0 Likes