Highlighted

data usage category details?

Which apps and/or specific activities are included in the category Social Media and Networking?  Is there a description of what falls into each category somewhere?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: data usage category details?

Leader

The best way to see detailed data is to look on the actual device. Typically under settings>data usage. Each app will say how much data was uses and you won't have to guess.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks, but I already knew that.  My question is asking which of the 50 apps on my device are included in the basket that Verizon calls "Social Media and Networking".  I want to compare the numbers that my device shows against what Verizon says.  Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram are probably in there, but what else?  Verizon should tell us this information.

Highlighted

Leader

It's not possible for us to tell you exact apps without knowing your apps, but you are on the right track. Though I will tell you what you are seeing on Verizon is merely a best guess. I've seen numerous post from folks saying their account showing high video use, but they don't use YouTube etc. Or social media, but don't use Facebook. Your phone is more reliable.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

I'm glad you asked. Our data utilization tool is a great tool for getting an idea for how your data is used each month, but I definitely understand wanting to know a little more about how it works. Here is a great link that will answer a lot of questions. http://vz.to/1QMPsLG. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

JosephT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sorry, but this answer doesn't really provide an answer either.  It seems that Verizon's Data Utilization FAQ is out-of-date to the My Verizon forms on your website.  In the FAQ section labelled "Understanding the Data Utilization Categories", FAQ #1 refers to a question mark icon to hover over.  There is no question mark icon in the data utilization form that I see.  FAQ #2 describes Primary and Secondary levels of detail that contains more detailed descriptions and lists of apps, but again, the form doesn't work as described.  It looks like the new form has a drill-down arrow next to the % number that can be clicked, but in the case of the "Social Media and Networking" category, there is no further break-down provided.  Both levels just say "Social Media and Networking".  I realize that Verizon can't categorize ALL of the hundreds of thousands of apps across multiple platforms, but certainly a list of the 8-12 most highly used apps in each category could be provided.

Highlighted

Leader

My guess is Verizon knows the main apps that show up in the Google Play Store / Apple Store

Social:

Facebook

Snapchat

Instagram

Pinterest

Tumblr

Meetme

Linkedin

As for Networking, I'm wondering if it's things like:

Whatsapp

Facebook Messenger

Kik

Highlighted

A person on my account uses none of these social networking things and has 28% usage.  How is that possible?

Highlighted

I agree - Verizon needs to make clear how they define this category it is after all a technical algorithm that calculates this and must be defined.  I too use none of the "social media" apps mentioned - and my usage shows 66% in this category! Come'on Verizon what so hard about being clear here...? You offer the metric, make it actually helpful to people.

0 Likes
Highlighted

this tell us nothing!  Show us what falls under each category please.

I’m starting to feel like this is just a scam to get me to upgrade my plan because All of a sudden I’m having overage charges and I can’t tell my family members where they need to cut back.  I’ve talked to staff two times and each time they say I would loose money because of the plan I have.   Sounds like the attorney General of VA needs to help here.

0 Likes