You ruined my credit report after I accepted your settlement offer. Why?

JAYKAY82

I am so distraught over this I feel sick.  I always pay my bills and I've never had any problem with anyone ever until now.  In January 2014, I made the decision to switch to Sprint to save money while going through a horrible divorce after being a Verizon customer in good standing for years.  On 01/07/2014, the process to port my phone number over was complete and I was able to use my new Sprint phone and my existing number.  At the end of January, I got a bill from Verizon charging me $120.49 for the entire month of January.

I believed it to be incorrect to be billed for an entire month of service when I only had it for 6 of 31 days that month, so I called up and explained the situation.  The CSR lady was very nice and said she would adjust my bill and mail it out to me.  However, I never received an updated bill and I knew something was wrong after I got another bill with a balance forward of $120.49.  I called back again, talked to another person, explained everything all over again and they reassured me that it would be taken care of.  This cycle continued to repeat it self several more times.  I must have spoken to half a dozen different people (spending hours on the phone), each time telling me "not to worry", it will be "corrected and taken care of".  I was going through a lot fighting for my daughter trying to save every penny I could for the attorney and it was extremely frustrating to feel like I was getting it stuck to me for leaving Verizon by hitting me with a final bill for 25 days I didn't even Verizon service.  I never tried to get out of paying anything, I just wanted to pay for what I used.

The worst part about this is that on 4/29/2016, I received a letter from Verizon stating that "Verizon Wireless realizes that sometimes certain events make it difficult to pay bills. Verizon Wireless would like to extend a one time offer to settle this account for only $60.24. This limited time offer represents a substantial 50% savings off the balance you owe."  The letter further stated that "Continued collection efforts for the full delinquent balance can be avoided by accepting this offer and remitting a payment in the amount of $60.24 by 5/29/16.  Once payment is received Verizon Wireless will consider this delinquency resolved and all credit bureau information for this account will be updated as paid."

I took the offer, mailed a check, and Verizon cashed it on 5/13/2016.  Fast forward to today, I've rebuilt my life and I am looking to buy a new car.  I applied for financing and having always had impeccable credit, I expected to be pre-approved at the tier 1 rate, but low and behold while I was approved, it was at 8.9% interest rate!  I was so upset because that is a horrible rate and I knew something was wrong (immediately fearing identity theft), that I came home and ran a credit report immediately only to find out that Verizon over the last 2+ years has been giving me a negative credit rating every month effectively destroying my credit.

Verizon messed up my bill and I made good efforts to resolve the problem and honestly it's the principle of the matter.  Despite reassurances that it would be corrected, I'm sure there is fine print buried 12 pages deep that says Verizon can bill you as much as they want whenever they want, but it's just not right to charge someone for services after they have cancelled and never received.  On top of that, Verizon reached out to me and made the offer to "consider this delinquency resolved and ALL credit bureau information for this account would be updated as paid" if I accepted their offer to pay $60.24 which I did!

I have a copy of the offer letter Verizon sent me, a copy of the cancelled check, and I guess I will have to try and deal with the bureaucratic nightmare of attempting to dispute this with Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.  I expect that hardly anyone ever successfully disputes these things, but what has happened here is just plain wrong and I just had to write this to express how upset I feel and I’d just like to know why?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: You ruined my credit report after I accepted your settlement offer. Why?

Acrillix

Here's what you should do:

Contact each of the three heads for Credit Reports. Dispute the claim that VZW made. Then, the three credit reporters will contact VZW to retrieve all the records PROVING you had an outstanding balance that was sent to Collections. Then you can receive a copy of these statements and show them to a lawyer.

Best of luck.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Acrillix

Here's what you should do:

Contact each of the three heads for Credit Reports. Dispute the claim that VZW made. Then, the three credit reporters will contact VZW to retrieve all the records PROVING you had an outstanding balance that was sent to Collections. Then you can receive a copy of these statements and show them to a lawyer.

Best of luck.

View solution in original post

pherson
Leader

Not so fast.

Per the Customer Agreement Verizon cannot be held liable by what is said by an employee.

Per the Customer Agreement service is canceled per the last day of the billing cycle. So the bill is valid.

3. That letter came from a collection agency. Verizon doesn't send settlement letters, and

4. Negative accounts can be on your report for years. Even if you received a settlement and paid it that just prevents further collection and judgements. It's still legally to remain on the report.