Highlighted

Re: Will the new unlimited data prioritization affect grandfathered accounts?

I have been seriously considering contacting Verizon concerning my grandfathered plan. I use between 10gig and 30gig a month and I've noticed that since the new Unlimited plan has been offered my data speeds have consistently degraded. During the afternoon hours or the early morning hours (1am until 4am) I usually receive consistently fast LTE download speeds around 6-12 meg or so. But during prime time hours (7pm until around 11pm) my speeds degrade or are throttled to approximately 500KiB to 1.5 meg down. It doesn't matter what time of the month nor how much data I have used during the month either. I realize Verizon states these old plans are not throttled nor deprioritized but can towers really become so congested that one is subjected to slow 3g type speeds?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Having the fastest speeds is definitely important so I completely understand your concern MKamp. We want to make sure you have the best service.

Speeds can vary depending on tower congestion. How long have you noticed the slower speed during the evening times? Do you have more than one device experiencing this? Does this happen only at a certain location?

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Verizon service IS NOT the same anymore. I've been on the Grandfathered Unlimited since Day One and it was better when it first came out. I easily got 40-50mbs speedtests but the only problem was the LTE capable phones would die in 1-2 hour so you had to stay by a charger. Obviously LTE efficiency as gotten better and so has batteries but my speedtest now are averaging 11-16mbps and I now get dropped calls like crazy as well as bad voice calls. I know this is still fairly decent to do everything you need to do but for the price... it isn't worth it. I have given Verizon so much money over the past 15 years and if I switch to their new Unlimited plan I feel like they won. The Grandfathered Unlimited is extremely expensive... personally I rather just go to an AT&T because the service is pretty comparable to what Verizon is now and it doesn't allow Verizon's greed to win. They are losing subscribers left and right due to strides the competition has made... I rather take my business elsewhere... and with AT&T I get 60 channels of DirectNow for $10 a month which is great because I cut the cord four years ago. Verizon needs to reward its customers for once.

0 Likes