Will I get charged any fees(data fees/roaming fees) in Italy-GalaxyS4

Eagan_Dan

I am in Italy with my Galaxy S4 phone and I turned Mobile data off and turned airplane mode on before I left the United States. When I arrived in Italy 5 days ago I have been using my phone with my Hotels free WiFi service because from what I was reading I shouldn't be charged any data charges...I called customer care and the rep. didn't seem to know and I was placed on hold for a few mins and came back and told me I would be okay and not incur charges but I kind of want written proof that it is okay and double check before I continue to use my phone on WiFi only. I do not have an international plan as I do not need it for texting/phone calls. I only am using the data on WiFi and having the phone on Airplane mode and data setting turned off, i feel there is no need for a international plan...I tried using the Live chat function but it seems to be deactivated. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Will I get charged any fees(data fees/roaming fees) in Italy-GalaxyS4

Weth
Sr. Leader

You did the right thing putting the phone in airplane mode and turning on only Wi-Fi. With the setting, the cellular radio is not even turned on so cannot communicate with the local towers and cannot incur any cellular charges including voice text and data. You're exactly right that you won't be able to receive or make phone calls or send or receive text messages in the usual way.

One thing you can do for Messages is to go to the new Verizon Messages website and you can see and send text messages from there there is also a Google play app to do Messages and these will be sent over Wi-Fi so you can still stay in touch without using cellular data, text or voice charges.

this is exactly what I do when I'm traveling. I do put roaming on my phone and pay for that but my wife and kid get their phone on airplane mode except for Wi-Fi and they never see any roaming charges.

Eagan_Dan

I just wanted to add some additional information.... On my account I found an option to view my global data usage and it seems that I am not being charged for any data. It says the following:

Data - 0 MB Global Data package

0 MB of 0 used

$ 0 Estimated charges

Estimates as of 10/09/2014

But having confirmation from a Verizon rep. or others who experienced this would be great.

There's also an option to get text messages when I reach $50, $150, $250, $500 $1000. Only problem with that is, I am on airplane mode and do not recieve text messages so that isn't a valid option for me if I were to incur charges, I wouldn't even know. There should be an option to have an E-mail be sent.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Weth
Sr. Leader

You did the right thing putting the phone in airplane mode and turning on only Wi-Fi. With the setting, the cellular radio is not even turned on so cannot communicate with the local towers and cannot incur any cellular charges including voice text and data. You're exactly right that you won't be able to receive or make phone calls or send or receive text messages in the usual way.

One thing you can do for Messages is to go to the new Verizon Messages website and you can see and send text messages from there there is also a Google play app to do Messages and these will be sent over Wi-Fi so you can still stay in touch without using cellular data, text or voice charges.

this is exactly what I do when I'm traveling. I do put roaming on my phone and pay for that but my wife and kid get their phone on airplane mode except for Wi-Fi and they never see any roaming charges.

Eagan_Dan

Thank you for the reply. The main reason I was asking was because I checked my data usage on my phone and in 5 days I already incurred over 200MB of data between Skype, FB, and emails/websites so I wanted to double check before I continued my usage since my bill would have been over 4000$ if I were to be charged. Thanks again!

0 Likes