Why pay a $35 Device Setup

I went to a Verizon wireless store to get a newer iPhone, she has 6 so I got her 8, for mothers day. The guy got me the phone and it stayed in the box. I gave it to her the next day and set it up myself. Backed up and restored to icloud from old phone to new, switched sim cards myself. The sales rep didn't touch the phone or open the box. My question is why do I have to pay a $35 device setup. I called the customer service number and they said it was for the saleperson helping you. Don't they get a salary to do that? They didn't setup anything. Sold me a phone, that's it. That $35 should be refunded in my opinion. No Device setup was done.

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: Why pay a $35 Device Setup

Expert

It was likely an upgrade fee not necessarily a device setup fee.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Verizon charges an upgrade fee whenever you purchase a phone from them or another retailer that sells a phone designated as Verizon, i.e. which comes with a Verizon SIM card.

There is a way around this with iPhones. Simply get the unlocked version of the iPhone without any SIM card. After purchase, simply switch the SIM card from your old iPhone 6 to the iPhone 8 and activate in that manner. You will not be charged an upgrade fee for this purchase. I have upgraded multiple iPhones in this method and never been charged an upgrade fee for doing so.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

matgor, help is here as we always want you to be in the know for your bill. I do hope your mother enjoyed her gift and her mother's day. Let's get this figured out. Verizon Wireless does have an upgrade fee but that has a cost of $30.00, not $35.00. I see it was stated that the charge is for device set up. It sounds like you visited a premium retailer. A premium retailer is a store that exclusively carries Verizon Wireless devices and equipment but isn't owned by Verizon Wireless. These stores look similar to an official Verizon Wireless store, but they're commonly identified by the words "Premium Retailer" on the sign. If you have a receipt, what is the full name that appears on it? Please advise. 

NatashaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sounds like you went to a indirect store full of bogus fees real Verizon stores don't charge. I'd go to the manager at that store, demand a refund for the issues and then only go to corporate stores from that point forward.

Content edited as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
Highlighted

Same thing happened to me.  There was absolutely no disclosure of the $45 Set up fee per phone until my old phones were erased And he tallied the bill (X 3 phones!!). He also did not disclose that i would lose my promotional discount For each phone. I was scammed! 

Location Is Verizon Authorized Retailer at 5 Schillings Road Brewer Maine 04412.  I have learned a big lesson and now stuck with a much higher monthly bill. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Mayo67 wrote:

Same thing happened to me. There was absolutely no disclosure of the $45 Set up fee per phone until my old phones were erased And he tallied the bill (X 3 phones!!). He also did not disclose that i would lose my promotional discount For each phone. I was scammed!

Location Is Verizon Authorized Retailer at 5 Schillings Road Brewer Maine 04412. I have learned a big lesson and now stuck with a much higher monthly bill.

Part of the problem might be the fact you went to a third party retailer instead of a corporate store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Covid19