Highlighted

Why not a Peace Corps deployment option for freezing service account?

Hello -

I would like to first start off by saying that I have had my account over the past five years and have experienced nothing but the greatest customer service through Verizon. Whether it was changing a line, changing account details, errors on my bill, or just a quick question I peddled around in my head, Verizon support stepped up even today to go that extra mile.

BUT today I was unfortunately let down by the system in place within Verizon that limited even their awesome customer support reps that were not able to freeze my account as I depart to the Peace Corps at the end of this month. I forget the kind woman's name who answered my request who went the extra mile, but it is super sad to let my account be deactivated just because there is no option available to Peace Corps members. There is a Military/Deployment option that was attempted, not sure what others have done in the past, but I figured a program as old as the Peace Corps would still benefit from a temporary freeze on one's service account without charging someone who isn't making a sizable income just so that they can resume their number in the future.

I will be terminating my account at the end of the month, wishing I didn't have to. Sadly this is the first time this company has let me down. Wishing for a change to future Peace Corps volunteers.

Warm Regards,

[Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Why not a Peace Corps deployment option for freezing service account?

naansalad

you are right I don't recall any carrier has "Peace Corps" and if you are leaving more than 90 days then port number to google voice save the number and when you come back you can use V or any other carrier with same number

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We never want to see you leave and want to find any possible solution for your extensive trip michaelmatejczuk. Saving your phone number for when you come back is crucial for every day life. How long will your trip be with the Peace Corps?

StevenM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

pherson
Leader

TThere is not a peace corps deployment option because going into the peace corps is not federally mandated. It's a choice that you make to go volunteer somewhere to make a difference in communities. As a result you made the choice and there is no option for suspending your service. Military is different, you enlist and you make a commitment with the government to serve and or fight for your country, and if you're told to go, you go. That may or may not be what you wanted to hear but it's the truth.

0 Likes

pluznik5

Hi. I am struggling with the same situation for my son, who began Peace Crops service today. Want to save his number for him, but not interested in paying monthly fee for a number he won't be using. He will put an local SIM in his iPhone. We are also very longtime customers (more than a decade) and maintain four phones on our plan.

Please help.

0 Likes

pherson
Leader

The amount of time you have been a customer does not matter. Peace Corps is no t a valid reason to be able to cancel or suspend service without billing.

0 Likes

NAAGOOP

It is two years from the original post and I still don't see a Peace Corps option.  My daughter is serving in Benin.  Do I really need to port her number to a different (free) service to maintain her number? 

0 Likes