Why is unlimited more per line for fewer lines?

EmK

I only have 2 lines.  I'm SAVING Verizon bandwidth because I only have 2 lines.

I'm currently on a 10GB data plan, and paying (with discounts) a little more than I'd pay if unlimited data were given at a true "per line" rate of $45 per line (as its offered to 4 line families).

It'd be great to get unlimited data for about that same $$.

Why do people with more lines (who will likely, as a result, use MORE data) pay LESS per line than I would, under the newly-reinstituted unlimited plan?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Why is unlimited more per line for fewer lines?

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

If you have 2 lines of service, you ARE getting the same offer as those with 4 lines of service.

You are BOTH getting unlimited data for $110/month.

You are BOTH paying $20 line access fees for lines without a service contract.

THAT is the offer and THAT is the same for 2 lines or 4 lines.

The ONLY difference is that the cost of unlimited data is spread out among 4 lines with a 4 line account and it is spread out between 2 lines with a 2 line account which when you take the AVERAGE cost/line it will sound better with more lines. While it may SOUND better, you ARE still getting the same offer.

The OFFER is not $45/line. The OFFER is $110/month for unlimited data for accounts with between 2 and 10 lines of service. ALL of those accounts are paying the EXACT SAME amount for their unlimited data. With more lines, though, you have more people pitching in to pay for that unlimited data which simply brings the cost/line down lower.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Your mistake is in that the $45/line is misleading, it is just an average and not a set charge per line.

It is a set price for unlimited data at $110 for the data($10 discount if you have autopay/paperless billing) and THEN a $20 line access fee for each line on the account. The $45 with 4 lines is simply an average based upon the total. The reason it gets smaller for more lines is simply because the base price for unlimited data stays the same. If you want the same cost/line regardless of how many lines, you will be paying a set price for unlimited data for each line which would likely end up being MORE expensive. Look at the old unlimited data plan with it being $50/line just for the data. If you tack on a $20 line access fee to that with the new Verizon Plan Unlimited, you will STILL be at $70/line. Verizon is giving a discount for accounts with more lines just as almost ANY business will give a discount for purchasing in bulk.

2 lines = $100 + 2 x $20 = $140 or $70/line

3 lines = $100 + 3 x $20 = $160 or $53.33/line

4 lines = $100 + 4 x $20 = $180 or $45/line

5 lines = $100 + 5 x $20 = $200 or $40/line

6 lines = $100 + 6 x $20 = $220 or $36.67/line

7 lines = $100 + 7 x $20 = $240 or $34.29/line

Verizon has gone away from charging each line separately for data, but has a set price for the data pool and then a line access fee for each line.

Weth
Sr. Leader

very likely accounts with more lines use less data per line than single line accounts. 

0 Likes

EmK

Regardless - they are advertising, for some people, "$45 per line."  I would also like $45 a line, not $70 line.  I don't understand why I cannot get the offer that other customers can get!

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

If you have 2 lines of service, you ARE getting the same offer as those with 4 lines of service.

You are BOTH getting unlimited data for $110/month.

You are BOTH paying $20 line access fees for lines without a service contract.

THAT is the offer and THAT is the same for 2 lines or 4 lines.

The ONLY difference is that the cost of unlimited data is spread out among 4 lines with a 4 line account and it is spread out between 2 lines with a 2 line account which when you take the AVERAGE cost/line it will sound better with more lines. While it may SOUND better, you ARE still getting the same offer.

The OFFER is not $45/line. The OFFER is $110/month for unlimited data for accounts with between 2 and 10 lines of service. ALL of those accounts are paying the EXACT SAME amount for their unlimited data. With more lines, though, you have more people pitching in to pay for that unlimited data which simply brings the cost/line down lower.

View solution in original post

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

EmK wrote:

Regardless - they are advertising, for some people, "$45 per line." I would also like $45 a line, not $70 line. I don't understand why I cannot get the offer that other customers can get!  You can, IF you have four lines.

"Some people" that can get $45/line are buying FOUR lines, @ $45 each (average cost).  You don't get that price unless you have FOUR lines.  Your cost PER LINE is more if you only have two.

0 Likes

EmK

Wow.  I must be having some trouble, unbeknownst to me, in communicating.  I'm not sure why no one is understanding why I think this is unfair - it's pretty clear, to me!  SusyQ, I know that I don't get that price without 4 lines.  That is exactly my point.

People with 4 lines pay

$110 -10 (auto-pay & paper-free discount) = $100 total or  $25 per line for unlimited data plan; PLUS

$80 total or $20 per line for access fee

I pay

$80 total or $40 per line for 10GB data plan; PLUS

$30 total or $15 per line for access fee.

So, in essence, I pay $10 more a month, per line, for less data.

I'm not sure where people get the idea that people with fewer lines use more data.  Is there anything to back that up?

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

Your comparing 2 different plans, Including yours that is no longer offered. 

It it really surprises you that people that buy more of something (wireless lines, cereal, etc) pay less per unit?   How is that even a shock?  Bulk discounts are all around you.  Why does this one bother you?

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

It is your choice to stay on a plan which Verizon no longer offers. You have the option of switching to one of the newer plans. You would THEN probably complain your line access fees went up, even though the same people you are complaining about with a lower cost/line ARE paying a higher line access fee than you are currently paying.

Stay on your current plan or switch to a newer plan, the choice is yours.

I don't think anyone on here has said people with fewer lines use more data. Some people with fewer lines will use more data. Some people with fewer lines will use less data. It is not the same for everyone.

In your case, it appears your account with 2 lines and a 10 GB data plan uses MORE data/line than my account with 5 lines and a 15 GB data allowance. I have no intention of switching to the new unlimited plan, either, as my TOTAL bill of $167/month is MUCH less than it would be if I switch($195/month + taxes/fees).

I'm staying with my current plan, not because I feel the new pricing is unfair, but because it would cost me more. Plain and simple. Just because something is more expensive does not make it unfair.

0 Likes

LYNGAL28

Agree, I don't get it either and don't think it's fair.

0 Likes