Why is a group message received showing an unknown Mexico City area?

CYNWAT71

A group message I sent was received showing an unknown Mexico city area code. This number was only seen by the recipients. What is the reason this occurred

Message sent with unknown number attached. The number had a Mexico area code attached

Labels (1)

Re: A group message I sent was received showing an unknown Mexico city area code. This number was only seen by the recipients. What is the reason this occurred

jav6

There have been a number of discussions regarding this issue.  Here is one which contains a possible reason why this 'number' shows up Re: Unknown phone number added to group text "As previously discussed, Message + will generate a random 588 number when in a group message with a user who does not use the Message + app. "

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...

Re: A group message I sent was received showing an unknown Mexico city area code. This number was only seen by the recipients. What is the reason this occurred

Shep14

This just happened to me also.  Clearly involuntary and a Verizon issue.  Are they going to do something our what???[

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, Shep14. I most definitely want to get to the bottom of this issue and resolve it. I am sorry you are seeing a strange area code from Mexico but the good news is, it won't have any effect on your account, cell phones or billing. Can you please provide us with a screen shot, so we can get a better idea of what is occurring? Please do not include any personal information or private cell numbers.

TinaN_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Re: Why is a group message received showing an unknown Mexico City area?

Auch996

O had same problem today!! Why did it happen?

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Auch996, I understand your concern about another number being in your group chat. The good news is there is nothing to fear. Message + will generate a random 588 number when in a group message with a user who does not use the Message + app. The message is not actually coming from a number in Mexico with a 588 area code. I hope this helps!

MelissaP_VZW

0 Likes

Mehajaz

Please stop reassuring this community when you have no idea what this is. That is not very professional.

Highlighted

lmdcell

I just encountered a similar issue. I was in a group text with my sister and dad, and all of a sudden (not a new thread; just in the middle of the conversation) the texts from both of them started getting filtered through a 588 number. So instead of it looking like a group text between my dad, my sister, and me, it now looks like a one-on-one text convo between only the 588 number and me. Each text from the 588 number has either my sister or my dad's number in front of it though, as though the 588 number is copying and rsending them to me. 

To test it, I closed out of the 588 texts and re-texted the orginal group convo but neither responded... so it looks like now my outgoing texts are blocked if i don't go through the 588 number.

Is this spam? A glitch? help!

0 Likes

lmdcell

After reading through some other posts with the same issue, I can supply an additional hint for verizon techs working on the situation: my sister and I have iPhones; but my Dad has an android. The 588 number started upon one of his texts.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the additional information, lmdcell. Are you using the Message+ app? Were any changes made to the device before this number started showing up

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes