Highlighted

Why does voice mail count against minute usage?

Stewy77

Has anyone else found that calls to your own voicemail to check a message that someone left for you counts against your monthly minutes used? Anyone know if Verizon has ever given any thought to this and made it so that when checking your Verizon voicemail that it doesn't count against your anytime minutes?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Voicemail counts against Minute usage

Community Manager
Community Manager

Stewy77, we don't want you to miss a beat when it comes to staying in touch with your friends, family, and important business contacts. When accessing your voice mail from your device, this minute usage is debited from your calling plan allowance. However, if you call your mobile number from a landline, you can save your peak minute allowance. Here's more facts about your voice mail feature that will be helpful to you: http://vz.to/1bXIeGI

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Yes, listening to your voicemails use minutes. If you have free nights&weekends, you could wait until that time to listen to your messages if the minutes are that important to you. You can also check your voicemails from a landline if the minutes are that important to you. In each of these cases, the minutes would not count against your allowance.

I don't see why Verizon would/should give people a way to get around choosing the appropriate allowance for their needs. Then you could simply choose the lowest possible minute allowance, never answer your phone and then listen to the voicemails for free. Doubt this will ever happen, however since most Verizon plans now include unlimited minutes, most users don't have to worry about this anymore.

0 Likes

Stewy77

When I think of my calling plan I don't consider checking my voicemails, and if voicemail is a Verizon account then why is it not classified similar to a mobile to mobile in calling. I think its either an oversight or a deliberate gouge of their clients. I think it makes people feel like they are cheated a bit. I pay to talk on my phone to another person. Its not that the minutes are that important to me and I appreciate that Verizon gives you the heads up and lets you upgrade your plan on the fly. It's more a question of quality of service and ethics.

Does AT&T or any other provider do that? If they do that would be my next commercial in the wars of cell providers "Do you know that both AT&T charge you minutes just to listen to your voicemail? Not Verizon. Our minutes are true calling minutes, switch to Verizon don't get nickel and dimed by those other companies. Verizon where the minutes you use are minutes well spent".

Voicemail should be an in network call. You're telling me voicemail is running off another network provider that its not an in network call? Come on now.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Seems we have a difference of opinion. That's what makes the world go round.Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, I don't see Verizon changing this policy any time in the near future.

0 Likes

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

Look at it this way - Verizon cell to Verizon cell is free. Verizon cell to any other carrier cell uses minutes.  Verizon cell to a landline (even a Verizon landline) uses minutes.  Verizon cell to Verizon voicemail uses minutes. Basically, Verizon cell to any phone or number other than another Verizon cell uses minutes.  While I may not agree with the reasoning, it is what it is.

People who leave you a voicemail do not use your minutes - and you can call from a landline and listen to your voicemails, and so use no plan minutes.  As others have suggested, you can call after 9 pm or on weekends to retrieve you VM and use no plan minutes.

And really, do you get so many voicemails, and they consume so much of your plan that it makes a significant difference?  With recent plan offerings, minutes are unlimited, so the issue is moot.  For those of us still on allowances for minutes, just know that anything other than Vcell to V cell is going to use your minutes.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Stewy77, we don't want you to miss a beat when it comes to staying in touch with your friends, family, and important business contacts. When accessing your voice mail from your device, this minute usage is debited from your calling plan allowance. However, if you call your mobile number from a landline, you can save your peak minute allowance. Here's more facts about your voice mail feature that will be helpful to you: http://vz.to/1bXIeGI

LasinaH_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

rcschnoor, thanks for helping us support Stewy77 with information regarding his option to access his voice mail feature during off peak hours. You are correct! You're not using your peak minutes when accessing your voice mail feature after 9:00 pm from Monday through Friday and on the weekends up until Monday morning at 6:00 am.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes

Stewy77

Look I get it, I am not an idiot, I know that they are not changing the policy and I know that they are doing. I guess I was curious if anyone else thought that it was a bit messed up that, that is the policy.

And yes I am cheap and stick with the 450 minute plan on the months I can get away with it, which is the only reason why I noticed it and I am sure most people especially on unlimited don't care. I know that its setup in a way to try and push the unlimited minutes. Just a gripe I have.

And if I see a Verizon commercial promoting free voicemail calls and a policy change I expect full credit with a year of free wireless lol.

0 Likes

Not applicable

Stewy77 wrote:

And if I see a Verizon commercial promoting free voicemail calls and a policy change I expect full credit with a year of free wireless lol.

Yeah now you have me laughing. A year of free wireless! Never going to happen

Good Luck

0 Likes