Why do I use data when my device is always connected to wi-fi?

Joseph32s

A number of times each day a small amount of data usage is recorded even though the phone never leaves the house and is always connected to WiFi. Why does this happen.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Data usauge

Weth
Sr. Leader

It is normal to have about 4 or so small data usages a day (about every 6 hours). These are almost always fractions of a megabyte and rarely a megabyte. This is the phone checking into homebase, at least the way I look at it. Every phone I have does this. Over the month these add up to 0.002 GB, so really not much. Important thing to know it is normal. If it really bothers you, and it shouldn't, you can turn off cellular data and they stop.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

It is normal to have about 4 or so small data usages a day (about every 6 hours). These are almost always fractions of a megabyte and rarely a megabyte. This is the phone checking into homebase, at least the way I look at it. Every phone I have does this. Over the month these add up to 0.002 GB, so really not much. Important thing to know it is normal. If it really bothers you, and it shouldn't, you can turn off cellular data and they stop.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Acrillix

Weth​ is definitely correct here. The phone can constantly connect to data anytime that data is on. Internet can either be routed through Wi-Fi or Data. It's important to remember that while Wi-Fi is off, your phone is constantly communicating with the network to get your regular notifications (pinging the email server, pinging Facebook, etc) to let you know whats going on.

As Weth​ said, it really doesn't use much data, these tiny sessions, often being recorded in at about 0.002MB (all data is not automatically recorded as GB in actual data sessions, its processed as MB) but there will be about 1 per hour where it communicates back and forth.

0 Likes