Why do I see so much data use at night?

stucker11

I keep going over my data limit and try to make sure I'm on wifi so I looked at the data Log for all three phones to see what is happening. I found a lot of entries in the logs that were in the real early AM (i.e., 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, etc) when we are all asleep. It shows for each phone line. Does anyone know why data usage would be recorded when no phone is being used (everyone asleep)? The length of each usage is not much but there are ALOT of these entries.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Data Overages

Verizon Employee

stucker11​ , I also like to keep track of my data even with the new Verizon Unlimited Data Plan and we want to make sure we can assist with a better understanding of your data reading over night.  Your data gets measured whenever your phone connects to the towers and when you disconnect from the towers. However this connection is not always read real time.  Your wireless devices will connect to our towers every few hours to add up any data usage that may have incurred during that timefram.  This is why you will see small amounts of data used at night.

Please feel free to check out our Tools for Monitoring Data to avoid overages during the month.

Tools for Monitoring Usage | Verizon Wireless

yarelim_vzw

View solution in original post

0 Likes

dexman

Most likely, the phones are doing background administrative tasks, such as backups and app updates. As a test, during the night, disable 4G/LTE to force everything over to WiFi and see if that makes any difference.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Verizon Employee

stucker11​ , I also like to keep track of my data even with the new Verizon Unlimited Data Plan and we want to make sure we can assist with a better understanding of your data reading over night.  Your data gets measured whenever your phone connects to the towers and when you disconnect from the towers. However this connection is not always read real time.  Your wireless devices will connect to our towers every few hours to add up any data usage that may have incurred during that timefram.  This is why you will see small amounts of data used at night.

Please feel free to check out our Tools for Monitoring Data to avoid overages during the month.

Tools for Monitoring Usage | Verizon Wireless

yarelim_vzw

View solution in original post

0 Likes