Highlighted

Why do I receive long text messages in multiple texts instead of one?

jeffH97

I recently switched to Verizon from AT&T. On their service my phone had no problem receiving a long text message in one message. But now that I'm on Verizon I get long text messages in multiple messages. It is extremely annoying. Enough that I might just switch back if there's not a fix for this. How can I receive long text messages in just a single text? And just for clarification, I am using the default Messenger app that comes back into Android, I've tried many other messengers to no avail, it happens with every contact, my device is a Moto G4 Plus running Android Marshmallow, and nothing that I've found in settings (at least that I've been able to find) addresses receiving SMS or MMS messages. Please help and if there's not a fix, then well you've probably just lost a customer.

Labels (1)

Re: Why do I receive long text messages in multiple texts instead of one?

Community Manager
Community Manager

We want you to be happy with your new service jeffH97. Let’s help convince you to stay with us. You should have the ability to receive long text in one message. Let’s get this fixed. We do not have a Motorola G4 in our lineup. Did you purchase the device from Verizon directly? Do you have your Mobile Data turned on? Is this happen to every long text message or only certain messages?

JenelleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

jeffH97

My mobile data is on. I bought this phone outright from Motorola and it

happens to every long message. I have counted characters on some random

split messages and it will split messages anywhere from under 60 up to 160.

So it would be messages with the following character counts (approximately)

142, 67, 98. No rhyme or reason to it. Some of the time when the message is

long enough to come through split, it even gets the order wrong thereby

adding to my level of annoyance and frustration.

Jeff [Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

jeffH97

A little more information: I ported my number from AT&T, my phone IS unlocked for BOTH GSM and CDMA, and I recently went into a corporate Verizon location since this is taking forever to get answers on and they told me to, "Call tech support but I'll tell you what they're going to say which is that you'll need to factory reset your device". No joke. So that makes 2 strikes Verizon one for the messaging and another for the "Call tech support" when requesting assistance at a location.

0 Likes

basslakeview

My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 only does this when I receive a message from friends with iPhones.  It comes in three line messages "out of reading order" which is SERIOUSLY irritating if it's a long message.  It's like trying to put a puzzle together.  They (my friends) tell me when they send it, it's altogether in one message, and they don't have this problem.  I've had android phones for years and have never had this problem until fairly recently so it must be something on Verizon's side of the fence.  PLEASE GET THIS REPAIRED SOON. 

Thanks, Long time Verizon customer

0 Likes

jeffH97

Until you answer our questions, I'm going to periodically post on this to keep the thread alive and active. So Verizon, got any more questions to ask me or have I just about covered all of them?

0 Likes

basslakeview

JeffH97,

Have you read my comment yet?  My Samsung Galaxy Note 4, bought from Verizon, does the same thing, but only from people with iPhones.  I received a long message from my sister who happens to be with AT and has an iPhone.  It was in messages of three lines each and they were all out of order.  It was like trying to work a puzzle.  VERY IRRITATING to say the least.  This problem only started recently, and it happens with ALL my friends sending me long messages who own iPhones.  It doesn't happen with any other phones so far.  They say they've never had that problem.  My sister happens to be with ATT.  Haven't asked others who whom they have their carrier.  PLEASE HELP US SOLVE THIS PROBKEM, EVEN IF IT'S NOT A VERIZON PROBLEM.  THANK YOU SO MUCH, Verizon!!!

0 Likes

jeffH97

Basslakeview,

I have read your comment. Both good and bad to know others are having a similar issue. That Verizon store I mentioned also told me, "We don't carry the G4 Plus and don't know anything about it....But it's not a network issue it's your phone" and I don't believe that for a second. I've had messages sent to me from friends who have an iPhone, Samsung, and even a Windows phone. All of them come through split. Not sure on their carriers for them though.

Verizon Support,

Y'all feel like chiming in on this or will you just tell us to "Call tech support"? Because basslakeview and I are EAGERLY awaiting a reply. Also, please DO NOT respond with a list of questions for me. I believe that I have given you more than sufficient evidence of the situation, hardware, software, etc. If my and basslakeview's situations confuse you, line starts behind us. And if you say that this is a situation of AT&T and Verizon refusing to play nice and being incompatible with each other, voice up the corporate chain that you need to get over it and learn to play with the other kids on the playground.

0 Likes

jeffH97

One last thing that I haven't mentioned yet. I am able to send long text messages to everyone without it being split into multiple messages on both my end and on the other person's end. So I can send long but cannot receive long.

0 Likes

basslakeview

Same here, Jeff, about me sending long messages but cannot receive long

messages. Our on difference is mine seems to be split up only from people

with iPhone on ATT. I have a Note 4 Samsung Galaxy and have had this phone

at least 3 years with no problems ever.

Love my phone and have always loved Verizon as my carrier until this week

when I read my unlimited data will be taken away AFTER I avoided signing

another contract by buying my phone outright ($500) to keep my unlimited

that was grandfathered in. NOT FAIR!

Elizabeth