Highlighted

Why do I have a bill in collections on a current account?

skbenbow

I have had my account for probably 10 years now, and I just saw there was something on my credit report recently from Verizon Wireless -- some kind of bill in collections. We pay the bill, and the account is still current/active, so how can I have something in collections? I'm going to talk with the Financial department about it, but I'm just frustrated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Bill in collections on a current account?

Community Manager
Community Manager

I understand your concerns, skbenbow. The charges from your account are not transferred to the new account because the liable party is  changed. Which means that we can not make your sister liable for charges that were on your account prior to the change.

You should have received a final bill within 30 days of your cancel. You will need to speak with the collection agency to resolve this issue. We no longer have access to the account. Sorry for the inconvenience.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

View solution in original post

0 Likes

jgroland

I hope you figure this out, I'm having something exactly the same going on except I think I know what happened.  Do you have a better number to call Verizon on rather than the Recovery Department? Read my post here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/819014

Not applicable

The larger issue is the damage it is causing you to the three credit bureaus; information on you to other credit grantors.

It is not accurate yet you may not have caught it in time.

http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/fair-debt-collection-p...

However you can take Verizon and the three credit agencies to court and collect huge sums of money for the false reporting by Verizon and if the credit bureaus don't remove it huge sums from them as well.

A good tactic is to apply for a home mortgage or new car loan which is very high priced. They turn you down because Verizon is reporting false information and you can sue for three times the amount in damages. So say a car is $30,000.00 you sue for $90,000.00 or a $300,000.00 home at $900,000.00 Verizon and the Credit Bureaus will be quick to insure the false reporting is stopped and completely cleared from your report. Also don't forget Identity Theft which could have been why there is a line being reported as in collections. There are other possibilities as well.

I wish you...

Good Luck

0 Likes

You would have certainly received phone calls and letters from Verizon prior to them sending something to collections. I pay my bill every month too yet I am not in collections. The whole story is not here.

0 Likes

jgroland

My whole story is there. Left for a week, came back and have a collection

with no notification whatsoever. Just because it didn't happen to you

doesn't mean its not true. quit trolling.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM, veryfrustrated0118 <

0 Likes

BRONCOAPACHE

I've been a Verizon customer since my first cell phone....maybe 14 years.

Over the last week I've received collections calls from CBE Group on a paid-up, current, Verizon account.

I just got off the phone (1530 2 April 2014) with CBE which I recorded (for quality assurance purposes). The representative confirmed my name and mailing address, after which I interrupted her to state clearly that I was calling to formally dispute the debt and I requested documentation to support the validity of the debt. She asked me for my Verizon billing password which I refused to give. She wished me a good day and she hung up on me. I'm still trying to reach a Verizon representative to sort this out. Collections.....on a paid-up bill! You can bet I'll be thinking about Verizon's competitors the next time I renew my wireless service provider.

Not applicable

Disputes by law have to be done via certified return receipt requested.

Calling does not preserve your rights under the Federal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

Tell them to verify the debt and to cease any further collection calls or letters outside of your initial request.

Put it in writing.

Good Luck

0 Likes

skbenbow

Well, you're partially right, the whole story wasn't there, but I couldn't give you the whole story until I learned it for myself. I'm tired of companies like this that process thing with or without notes and disregard them completely anyway. I was the account holder for a few years, then I did the Assumption of Liability with my sister so she could take over the account. I honestly do not recall Verizon telling us at that time that everything was going to start brand new and that the current bill would not transfer over. (Which is where my bill in collections came from.) I did not receive any calls from Verizon, as that would have defeated their Assumption of Liability purposes. Had they simply notated that the numbers were not changing hands and that my number would in fact continue to remain my number, then perhaps they could have gotten a hold of me. The person I talked to at Verizon recently said they probably mailed something-- I never received anything! Talked to someone in financial about it yesterday, they said they couldn't discuss it with me at this point.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

I understand your concerns, skbenbow. The charges from your account are not transferred to the new account because the liable party is  changed. Which means that we can not make your sister liable for charges that were on your account prior to the change.

You should have received a final bill within 30 days of your cancel. You will need to speak with the collection agency to resolve this issue. We no longer have access to the account. Sorry for the inconvenience.

ChaunceyM_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

View solution in original post

0 Likes