Highlighted

Why can I never buy a phone outright?

RazRei

I had something longer and ....ish written but I decided not to post that.   

My question to Verizon is "Why can't I just buy the darn phone?" 

Every time I go to buy a phone at full retail price, instead of taking me to check out cart, you try to get me to sign up for a plan etc etc.  I don't want to.

I just want to give you the full retail price of the darn phone, and be on my marry way.  YOU however won't let me do that.  WHY? 

Last time I did this I purchased/preordered a iPhone 5s FULL PRICE.  I had to "add" a new line and call you guys to cancel it after I got the device and activated it to my account.  But why did I even have to do that?  Why couldn't I have > add to cart > would you like to purchase insurance? > billing > shipping > CC info > Thank you for your purchase.

WHY can't it be that simple? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Why can I never buy a phone outright?

dilbertaz

Verizon isn't really in the business of just selling phones, if you truly want to just buy a phone outright a retailer is going to be the easiest route (Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, Costco, Sam's Club, Target, etc.).

0 Likes
Highlighted

kaebfly
Leader

I've never had a problem paying full retail for my phones through Verizon and I've never had to add a line or anything like that. As mentioned, if you're paying full retail and can't seem to get around whatever issues are coming up when you try to buy from Verizon you could opt to pay full retail at other retailers (Apple, Best Buy, Target, Sam's Club, etc).

0 Likes
Highlighted

sprmankalel
Leader

You have to select the full price BEFORE checkout.

0 Likes
Highlighted

sprmankalel
Leader

Actually even BEFORE adding it to your cart.

0 Likes
Highlighted

fleurdelise

Verizon is a wireless service provider. They sell service to go with those phones. For a completely service-less phone, try contacting the manufacturer. While you could purchase a full price phone and consequently cancel the service (at no cost since there's no contract associated with it), seems like it would just be easier to buy an iPhone from Apple.

I believe you can buy unlocked phones straight from Apple effective October 8th, as well.

Best regards.

0 Likes

brando8998
Novice

As stated in previous posts Verizon sells devices with the expectation of you activating a service with them. That's like going to a cable company and wanting to buy the equipment and not the service. If you want just the devices it would be best to purchase from the manufacturer website directly.

0 Likes
Highlighted

kaebfly
Leader

Again, despite the issues the OP seems to be having doing this you can pay full retail to Verizon to get a device and not have to open a new line or change your current plan. I do it almost every time I upgrade online via Verizon and have never had a problem. I'm at a loss as to why the OP is running in to issues (I'm curious if they are adding it to their cart with the full retail price selected) but I do it and have been doing it for the last few years. I know some stores can act funny about doing it for you but online it shouldn't be a problem.

0 Likes