Why are text messages getting converted to email?

Text messages to my cell phone number from certain people are not delivered to my cell phone as texts but are instead converted to email messages from "phone_number@vtext.com" or "phone_number@vzwpix.com".  This is very annoying because the texts are included as attachments that need to be opened and it's difficult to decipher who the text is from since the normal contact info is not used.

Note: text messages from other cell phones work just fine.

I want to disable this conversion from text to email and just see the text message from the sender on my cell phone in Messages.

There are lots of questions of this topic from very annoyed users, but none of them have a useful answer.  Does anyone know what is going on?

One forum thread suggested that enabling iMessage is the problem.  That seems unlikely.

Just to be clear, the text is from a normal cell phone number sent to my cell phone number.  None of the contacts contain any reference to vtext.com or vzwpix.com.  But the text is never delivered to the cell phone, instead showing up as an unwanted email.  It appears to be a Verizon problem.

Help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Why are text messages getting converted to email?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Let's solve this mystery, Ron.You had said that these "email text" users are all on Samsung devices, and SuzyQ had mentioned she has one contact who only shows up as an email when participating in a group text. While we (and you) have gone through your phone settings already, and it so far appears to be set up correctly based on the conversation in this thread (such as changing the iPhone text option to only use your phone number rather than email), do you know how the senders are set up? Do they show up like this for anyone else other than you? 

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

RonaldGBennett,

Help has arrived! We surely want for you to receive all the texts as actual texts & not emails. Let’s gather some clues to this mystery. When did this problem start to happen? Does this happen with just one particular contact or numerous contacts? Have you been able to delete the contact from your phone & re-add it to test?

AliciaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Here is some additional information.

1. This behavior started around last October or November of 2016.

2. Initially it was only one cell phone with the problem, but since then two other unrelated cell phones have shown the same behavior.

3. I’m checking, but I believe all phones are Samsung, whereas I have an iPhone.

4. My gmail email address is the same as my AppleID – if that matters.

5. I have not tried deleting any contacts on my phone or on the sender’s phones.

6. If you do a search of the support database I believe you will find other users with the same problem.

7. The recommended fix to one of the previous customer’s issue was to go into Settings->Messages->Send&Receive and make sure that only my cell phone number was checked and not any email addresses. I did that, but it made no difference.

..r

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

RonaldBennett, I can see how this can be very annoying. I know I look to recieve my text messages immediately. I wanted to know if you are recieving this problem from one particular contact? Do you know if the device sending the message is another Apple device? What is your make and model?

VeronicaM_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hmmm, I’m not sure how to reply. The answers to your first two questions are in my previous message. Please re-read that and let me know if you still have questions.

Regarding your third question, I have an iPhone 6S. I believe that is the make and model info.

0 Likes

Just to be clear, I currently have this problem with three different contact cell phones that I am aware of. I believe all of those are Samsung phones. I have not noticed this problem with text messages from iPhones. I have an iPhone 6s.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

RonaldGBennett - I appreciate all of the information you've provided and I apologize for the previous representatives questions. We understand that receiving a text message via email is an inconvenience and I am confident that we will get this issue resolved. Anyone can send a text message from an email account by composing a message and sending it directly to a VZW device by using the 10-digit mobile number or vtext nickname followed by @vtext.com Have you asked the text message senders how they have your information set up in their contacts? Have you tried deleting and adding the affected contacts on your phone. What text messaging application are they using?

JacobV_VZW

0 Likes

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

I have a Pixel; I have one contact that sends out a group text but it comes to my email (listed at the bottom @gmail.com), oddly, while everyone else appears to be listed as a cell #.  The message itself is in a .txt file.  I have not asked this contact how he is sending this, or what phone or app he is using.  I chalk it up to a glitch, and he doesn't send many.  It would be nice to figure this out though.Gmail.png

Hi Jacob,

I checked with two of the senders with these problems and they are simply sending an ordinary text message from one cell phone to another – or at least that is what they are trying to do. They open the “Message” app built into the phone, select my cell phone number in their contacts, type the message, and click Send. They expect me to get a text message as would any other cell phone.

No, they have not added vtext or vzwpix to my contact information. Why would they do that? I’m sure they have never heard of these obscure techniques. They are simply sending a regular text message from one cell phone to another cell number, nothing fancy.

The conversion to email is happening somewhere in Verizon’s system without their knowledge.

Other users have reported what sounds like the same problem on your support site, so this is not a one-off problem.

Yours,

Ron

PS, it sounds like SuzyQ has the same issue. See her comment in this thread.

SuzyQ,

This sounds to me like the same problem. I’d appreciate hearing if it turns out that your contact is doing something odd, but that does not seem likely. My contacts say they are simply trying to send an ordinary text message from their cell phone to my cell number using the default built-in messaging app, nothing fancy.

Ron

0 Likes