Re: Why are text messages getting converted to email?

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

The email I posted above is from a group text, sent to several people. I do receive individual texts from the same person, but anytime he sends a group, it comes through like this.  Very weird.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Let's solve this mystery, Ron.You had said that these "email text" users are all on Samsung devices, and SuzyQ had mentioned she has one contact who only shows up as an email when participating in a group text. While we (and you) have gone through your phone settings already, and it so far appears to be set up correctly based on the conversation in this thread (such as changing the iPhone text option to only use your phone number rather than email), do you know how the senders are set up? Do they show up like this for anyone else other than you? 

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

OK, it looks like this was operator error. Please post the resolution for other users who encounter this problem.

The issue was that several of my friends have both my phone number and my email address in their contacts. When they create a new text message for me and search for my name both forms of contact are listed. It is easy for them to inadvertently click on my contact name associated with my email address when they intend to send a text to my phone. Two people I spoke to said they just assumed when they found my name in the contact list that their text message would automatically be sent to my phone by default, so they didn’t notice that they were clicking on the email address by mistake. They had no idea it was even possible to send a text message to an email address. As I mentioned earlier these are novice cell phone users.

I suspect many other text message users are doing the same thing, which would explain the many complaints on this topic. Perhaps a warning message would be helpful; as in, “Are you sure you want to send this text message to an email address instead of a cell phone number?”

jhansen01

This only started happening to me when my friend updated her Samsung phone. She has contacted her provider and they couldn’t find anything wrong, I have checked my settings too.

0 Likes

accampbell

If the SMS toggle is off in Messages in the settings app on an iPhone, this will happen.

0 Likes

_970324B

I just got over 4,000 emails on my iPhone from FB from my Gmail account that was set up years ago specifically for my FB account!

Before this happened I had about 12 emails on my iPhone.

Needless to say, I'm not happy!  Also, I haven't been able to access my emails since the last change to the email!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

These details help. We see how inconvenient this can be. Are the emails that you are receiving just from Facebook messages? What happens when you try to access your email? GeorginaG_VZW

0 Likes