Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Re: Why are my phones using substantial data when connected to wifi in 12 hour increments?!
PMCMIL5450

I had the same thing happen...home on WiFi (strong)...data went from 50% available at 8:15 PM, to 25% at 8:30 PM, to 12% at 9:30 PM! I had been home and on WiFi since 5:15 (have a WiFi only iPad which is what I use at home, rarely my cell phone). All settings were checked; no WiFi Assist, etc. I have also had data used overnight. This is nowhere close to my normal usage...I even had carryover data...clearly something outside my control was going on. The CSR was very helpful and accommodating...not why I am commenting. One of his suggestions, as I've seen on this post, is to turn off Cellular data when home on WiFi...what a ridiculous solution! Without Cellular data, no phone calls, texts, or other important information can be delivered. And there is no task scheduler to turn data off and on, like night mode for the phone ringer; therefore if I turn off data overnight and forget to turn it back on the next morning, I'm receiving nothing. This is unacceptable! Verizon needs to figure out what is causing this data usage/leak and FIX IT.

Re: Why are my phones using substantial data when connected to wifi in 12 hour increments?!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

PMCMIL5450, we understand your concern. We are looking into every option to fix this as quickly as possible. Turning off data, will not stop your services from coming through. Only data services will be stopped. This will help us figure out what could be causing the data usage. There is a chance that the phone is having issues staying connected to Wi-Fi and it is why you are seeing the usage. Please try your device without data active. Otherwise, if usage continues, there is no way to track what is causing it. By turning off your data, you can track when this is happening and figure out if the device, the Wi-Fi signal, or maybe an application are the reason for the increased usage. What applications are showing the usage when this happens? What kind of phone do you have?

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this! 

0 Likes
PMCMIL5450

My error...Airplane mode is obviously not the same as simply turning off cellular data. But I cannot fathom that out of the blue, one evening, my phone was having issues staying connected to WiFi so that in 15 minutes 25% of my data was used up, when I wasn't downloading, streaming, or doing any other data intensive activity! I have an iPhone, and did not check what apps were supposedly using the data at that time. I will monitor it, however. Thank you for your response.

0 Likes
LAMINA3

I am experiencing similar issues - I rarely connect to the Internet outside of wifi and I am continually going over my overage for data.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

That is a valid concern. We definitely want to make sure we use our data on services we want to enjoy. Rest assured we will get to the bottom of this for you. Can you please tell me what applications do you normally use throughout the day? How often do you use these applications?

EvelynR_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupportIf my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes