Highlighted

Why are my phones using substantial data when connected to wifi in 12 hour increments?!

My phones are using a substantial amount of data when connected to wifi, and also while we are asleep. Seems to be in 12 hour increments. .1 gig.. if you multiply that by 4 phones it doesn't take long to add up.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Why are my phones using substantial data when connected to wifi in 12 hour increments?!

Expert

If you don't bother to turn off the cellular data while you are connected to the wifi router, the phone will connect to the cellular data connection when the phone is on standby mode and the wifi radio has gone to sleep.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Why are my phones using substantial data when connected to wifi in 12 hour increments?!

Expert

Which phone models do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

We definitely want to confirm the accuracy of the data used by your phones, NANMIL50. We must first confirm if your phone have an option to switch from WiFi to cellular data when your WiFi connection is weak. What phone models do you have?

In the mean time you can confirm how your phones are using data if you login to your Verizon account on your computer at this link: vzw.com/DataUtilization

Did you know that we now offer an unlimited data plan? Switching to our new unlimited data plan will save you from data overage charges going forward. Please visit this link for details on our new plan: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/new-verizon-plan-unlimited-faqs/

AntonioC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Have you verified the wifi assist is off?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes, Wifi Assist is off on both phones.Last rep we talked to said the new Iphone7 may have been set to the wrong tower and wasn't recognizing our local Wifi.  Reset Network Settings, but still showing some spikes.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

What about the individual applications? Are there differences between the two devices on the applications using the data? Did you check the permissions for the applications to use wifi in the background?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have tried to go through and compare both phones and the way the applications are set.  It's nearly impossible to know if all of the settings are exactly alike.  Regardless of that, I just don't get how we are being charged data usage when connected to Wifi.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

If you don't bother to turn off the cellular data while you are connected to the wifi router, the phone will connect to the cellular data connection when the phone is on standby mode and the wifi radio has gone to sleep.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

NANMILD, we want to make sure you are able to keep track of your data. At what times do you see these spikes come through? What applications are using the data? Let's also continue to your account. Please meet us on Facebook via Private Message or via Twitter @VZWSupport.

JavierMD_VZW  Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

When home can you try disabling data entirely and see if you still continue to see the data usage?

KleoL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes