Why am I being billed for an extra month?

shiphone

Hi. I have been a loyal Verizon wireless customer for a long while, but have had such a bad experience in the past year (where I have paid bills as high as $700.00) that I decided to cancel my services and move to another network. My billing cycle runs from 14th of the month to 14th of next month, typically. I have autopay set up to pay my bills and it deducts money for the following month on or around 6th of that month.

I ported out my verizon number to a service on 4th of this month and since my verizon account got immediately closed, I called up verizon to find out about the ETF and final bill. I was surprised to find that I had to not only pay ETF but also pay the bills for the next month (which I am not using as I canceled before the Feb 14th!). Is this common practice? I feel so cheated. I feel its a sneaky move to squeeze that extra amount of money from me!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Canceled service before end of contract and billing cycle. Being charged an extra month!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Shiphone, I'm sad to hear that you left Verizon and we would have been happy to help with options for lowering your bill without you leaving. As per your customer agreement http://vz.to/174SokR, when you cancel service, it will be canceled on the last day of the bill cycle. You pay a month in advance, so your previous bill would have been for the dates Jan 15th - Feb 14th. You would not be expected to pay for Feb 15th to March 14th.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Re: Canceled service before end of contract and billing cycle. Being charged an extra month!

Not applicable

Technically if you left you weren't loyal. I'm not sure what that means when people say they are loyal. Anyway it's not some trick. It's billing error. No conspiracy no "evil" plan. Anyway you will be billed through the end of a billing period. So even if you cancelled on the 4th you'll be billed through the 14th. As far as auto-pay I'd never do that with ANY company. No way I let ANY company take money out of my account before I see a bill.

0 Likes

shiphone

There were many options to choose from when my contracts ended every two years, and I stuck with VZW. The CSR whom I spoke with mentioned its a Verizon policy. She did not talk about billing error and mentioned to avoid paying this extra months bills I must have canceled my service before the bill was generated for the following month! I find that conniving.

But thank you for your response. 

0 Likes

Not applicable

shiphone wrote:

There were many options to choose from when my contracts ended every two years, and I stuck with VZW. The CSR whom I spoke with mentioned its a Verizon policy. She did not talk about billing error and mentioned to avoid paying this extra months bills I must have canceled my service before the bill was generated for the following month! I find that conniving.

But thank you for your response. 

I'm sure you stuck with Verizon because they were giving the best service for a reasonable price. That's not loyalty. That's just being a smart consumer. Being loyal would be sticking with Verizon when other carriers where offering equal or superior service for less money. And in that case that may be being loyal but it's also kind of stupid.

As far as your bill my new bill is generated about 4-5 days after the end of my billing period. So if your billing period ended on the 14th the new bill would be generated on the 18th. Verizon bills in advance so your bill that got generated on the 18th of January would be from January 15th to February 14th. Which would be due around Feb 6th. So you were billed correctly.

0 Likes

shiphone

Appreciate your help once again. I do feel I was stupid to stay on, and when it was too much to handle I stopped the service. You do not have to be so defensive. I felt I was loyal and I am disappointed in the way I have been treated by them in the past (most of which you do not know). Keep your opinion about loyalty and what not to yourself.

In any case, I already paid the January 15th to February 14th bill. The CSR mentioned I will have to pay for Feb 14th - March 16 (approx) since the bill was already generated.

0 Likes

jseiden

Do you work for Verizon?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

jseiden wrote:

Do you work for Verizon?

Does my username have VZW in it? Does my avatar have a Verizon logo in it? Is there a point to your question?

0 Likes

Not applicable

shiphone wrote:

In any case, I already paid the January 15th to February 14th bill. The CSR mentioned I will have to pay for Feb 14th - March 16 (approx) since the bill was already generated.

I'll look at my bills and see how they are billing me. Seems stupid. I see them making you pay through February 14th when you billing period ends, but the 4th is before the 15th of February last time I checked my calendar. You shouldn't have to pay for anything after the 14th as long as you cancel before the next billing period start doesn't matter when the bill is made.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Shiphone, I'm sad to hear that you left Verizon and we would have been happy to help with options for lowering your bill without you leaving. As per your customer agreement http://vz.to/174SokR, when you cancel service, it will be canceled on the last day of the bill cycle. You pay a month in advance, so your previous bill would have been for the dates Jan 15th - Feb 14th. You would not be expected to pay for Feb 15th to March 14th.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

As has been pointed out by   you would not be expected to pay for service from Feb 15th to March 14th.

Additionally, it appears as if the CS rep which has told you your next month's bill had already been generated DOES NOT know what they are talking about or you are unaware when your billing cycle ends.

IF your billing cycle ends on Feb 14th, there is no way your bill could have already been generated. How could they possibly bill correctly for any overages if your bill is generated BEFORE your billing cycle ends. That does not make sense.

IF your line got ported on Feb 4th AND your billing cycle closes on Feb 14th, you should see no bill for service after Feb 14th. You COULD, however, receive a bill for any overages you may have incurred from Jan 14th thru Feb 14th. If you have received bills as high as $700 in the past, it is not out of the question you may receive a bill for overages. I can only assume you had bills that high because of overages. Any bill you receive SHOULD NOT include charges for service from Feb 14th thru March 14th, but doesn't rule out the possibility of any bill at all, though. Service is billed in advance, but overages are billed after the fact.Smiley Happy

0 Likes