Why Is The Unlimited Plan Not Working As I Expected?

KSpen

Switched to unlimited plan.  Slow [Removed] speeds even before we got halfway through our 20GB.  Its so bad that snapchat's icons for the image filters sometimes never load.  Service is completely pathetic at the best.  The sad part is I'm basically paying the same as before, when I would pay $15/GB over my "quota".  I'd rather go back to the old plan.  At least the service was usable.  Tmobile is begging me to let them buy my contract; quite tempting at this point. You guys are making money hand over fist, meanwhile the customer is getting [Removed].  About to take my 6 devices elsewhere if you guys don't get it together.  Tired of listening to my wife and kids complain; you guys used to be great but now you pretty much seem to suck.  I guess my question is, after all these years what made you decide to [Removed] and ruin a good thing?   About to give my money to John Legere; you guys have 30 days.  Don't bother replying with[Removed]troubleshooting request.. the problem is on your end, not my 6 brand new devices.

Completely disgusted...

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)

Re: Why Is The Unlimited Plan Not Working As I Expected?

Community Manager
Community Manager

We love having your family as part of ours and do not want to lose you! I have sent you a Drirect Message so that we can offer you more personalized support. I will look forward to working with you further. 

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

KSpen

service still sucks even after my data plan counter reset to 0.  Paying basically the same on average as last year, the difference is last year Verizon didn't suck.  You guys have 24 days.. how long before we class action sue. I know I'm not the only only getting [Removed].

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service 

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

KSpen

Hello,

I have nearly 30 years of professional industry experience, having worked with the largest names in the game on both wired and wireless networks on a global scale.

Verizon doesn't seem to care as long as I keep that auto-pay going.  I'm about to take my $400/month elsewhere.  I have been monitoring Verizon's LTE service since switching to the horrible new unlimited plan, and comparing service to their major competitors with daily testing of all the wireless networks from the same physical location.  The results, at least for Verizon, are completely unacceptable.

The following tests were performed at the same time from the same physical location.  Both phones are Samsung S7, one on Verizon, the other on AT&T.  Both phones show perfect signal strength/connection quality to the cell tower.

S7 on Verizon network:

Google's speed test: 0.29Mbps Download x 1.09Mbps Upload

Verizon.com speed test: timed out trying to load the page!

Verizon.com speed test: 0.93Mbps Download x 4.5Mbps Upload

speedtest.xfinity.com 0.9Mbps Download x 16.5Mbps Upload.

Another S7 on AT&T network:

Google speed test: 16.3Mbps Download x 18.4Mbps Upload

Verizon.com speed test: 25.21Mbps Download x 22.5Mbps Upload

speedtest.xfinity.com test: 10.55Mbps Download x 18Mbps Upload

This is an example of the same results I'm seeing day-after-day.  The problem is not my Verizon phone.  The problem is your illegally throttling my connection and violating our contractual agreement.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, KSpen. We're disappointed to learn you're experiencing issues with your data speeds and want to figure out what's going on with this. We want you to have the best possible service. Let's dig into this. What's the zip code where you are located? Does this happen everywhere? Is anyone else having the same concerns?

DanielleR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

deloused

Well with almost 30 years of professional industry experience including global wireless networks you should have been aware of the following-

1) Strong signal strength does not equate to data speed. You can have full bars of LTE, which only indicates your device is able to communicate with the tower at maximum speed. If your local tower is connected to the internet via just a T1 for example, and many Verizon users are sharing just a T1 connection and attempting to access data simultaneously that's definitely going to slow the speed down.

2) While you aren't able to sue your carrier for throttling data (A federal judge ruled last year that AT&T customers who were unhappy over its data throttling practices will not be able to pursue a class-action lawsuit against the company even after FCC Net Neutrality rules were established) Even the FCC declined to sue the carrier and if you follow the news the commission has changed their stance and issued a new docket in April 2017 to eliminate the throttling restrictions for wireless ISPs which is why they aren't levering legal action upon such violation accusations. The FCC is still accepting public comments on their website for their 'Restoring Internet Freedom' docket to remove the Net Neutrality/ throttling limitations by reclassifying wireless ISPs if you want to add yours.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/throttling-of-websites-a...

3) On a side note though, that doesn't sound like throttling, per your description of how the slow speeds are affecting all data services, (Snapchat/browser etc) and the FCC defined the no-throttle rules as 'slowing down specific applications or services, a practice known as throttling. Providers can't single out Internet traffic based on who sends it, where it's going, what the content happens to be or whether that content competes with the provider's business.

4) Youre right that it's not the phones in question, bit it definitely sounds like a bandwidth issue due to tower overload, although it could also be a technical issue within the network such as misconfiguration or hardware not functioning properly that needs to be fixed.

5) Its not related to your plan, if you switched back to a limited GB data plan it wouldnt change your speeds in this case. You weren't the only one that switched to unlimited, MANY others have, now they're using more data and less wifi without worries and that's what's likely causing the overload.

6) If Verizon did decide to throttle you that wouldn't be a violation of your contract, however you suing them would be a violation as you agreed to only arbitrate disputes. All the wireless carriers have that clause of course.

7) The fastest way to better speeds would be to use the devices on a network with available bandwidth. The second fastest would be to be nice and pleasant and call Verizon technical support to have them submit your issue details to a network engineer to test and identify the cause and what could be done to resolve it and when they might be able to fix the problem. (Since your 30 day demand expires soon though it likely wouldn't be fast enough anyway)

8) The slowest way to fix the issue is to just post in a community based forum, and/or use naughty words, or threatening words like 'legal/court/sue/lawyer' that would pretty much make anyone not wanna deal with you regardless of who or where as it's been pretty much so far.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/03/15/att-class-action-data-throttling/%3Fso...

lukevinyl

Very well put.

What I don't understand is when individuals state that everything was perfect before they switched to the unlimited and now that they are on unlimited it is the end of the world with nothing working, yet they stay on the unlimited "non-working" plan. The unlimited is certainly not for everyone, but for many it gives them much more data for a cheaper price than what they were paying.

Regardless, no one is forcing anyone to stay on the unlimited plan and if the other plans worked so well and this unlimited one doesn't-- if it were me I would switch back in a heartbeat.

Personally I know many that do have the unlimited and ARE more than happy with it regardless of only seeing those complaining about it on these boards....

Highlighted

KSpen

Thanks for your response. The issue is with multiple devices on multiple

towers. The problem is not the towers. I have since found other verizon

customers who do not have the same issue, even on the same tower. From

Hawaii to East Coast US, to small town middle America.

Just this morning, we saw more of the same. 1 device getting .9mbps and

another pulled approx 20mbps, both on the same tower.

At any rate, I'm in touch with Verizon execs on this already. And if any

of you don't like what I'm saying, don't read it. So far, only 1 person

has responded with actual facts. The rest of you are wasting your own time

with poor attempts at trolling.

0 Likes

I pay $280 plus a month. I just ran a speed test. My upload is .65, my download is .60. I have unlimited data.

0 Likes

boringusername

@patriciabissett wrote:

I pay $280 plus a month. I just ran a speed test. My upload is .65, my download is .60. I have unlimited data.

Which unlimited plan how many lines? I'm sure some of that is device payments and insurance which are a CHOICE.

0 Likes