Highlighted

Why Is Avast MailShield Blocking Message+?

I have the message+ app installed on my mac. I also have avast virus protection. The Avast mailshield is blocking the message+ app. With it on, it fails. With the mailshield off, the app connects fine. What pop/imap server needs to be whitelisted for message+ to function properly?

The failure message is below:

Secured connection to server has failed

This may be related to a network with restricted access, or in some cases, antivirus software on your Mac may be blocking connection. If an antivirus software is used, try to temporarily disable it before connecting to the server.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Avast MailShield Blocking Message+

Verizon Employee

steventnorris, I know that I too would want both my Messages + and Avast's services to work hand in hand through my personal computer as well. We are here to help out. Suzy Q provided a great tip which can potentially help out. In the event that you are still experiencing issues, I recommend checking over Avast's Firewall settings. You may need to go in and manually allow the Messages + Mac program to work and have network access through the Firewall.

Check out this link to find out more: Avast FAQ | Avast 2016: Setting up firewall application rules

Please keep us posted if our steps helped out. Thank you!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Verizon Messages+ isn't an email application that needs a POP3/IMAP server to function.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Regardless, the MailShield on AVAST anti-virus blocks the application with the above message. With MailShield on, it fails. With MailShield off, it succeeds. The MailShield typical handles blocking Pop and Imap servers, thus my thoughts that it is a Pop/Imap issue. Are you certain it doesn't use pop or imap? If you are, then what needs done to whitelist it?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Since I don't have a Mac or use that Antivirus application, I don't have any suggestions. Perhaps another community member will have more familiarity with using such a combination of hardware and software.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I'm not sure I'll be any help - I do use the Messages+ desktop app (have it installed and working) and I also use Avast anti-virus, with mail shield enabled.  However, I use a PC running WIndows 10, and it does all work.  (That's why I said I'm not sure I'll be much help as I can't suplicate the issue you are seeing).

Within the mail shield, you can turn on and off the inbound scan, and outbound scan, but there's also a setting for toggling the newsgroup messages - have you tried turning just that  setting off?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Verizon Employee

steventnorris, I know that I too would want both my Messages + and Avast's services to work hand in hand through my personal computer as well. We are here to help out. Suzy Q provided a great tip which can potentially help out. In the event that you are still experiencing issues, I recommend checking over Avast's Firewall settings. You may need to go in and manually allow the Messages + Mac program to work and have network access through the Firewall.

Check out this link to find out more: Avast FAQ | Avast 2016: Setting up firewall application rules

Please keep us posted if our steps helped out. Thank you!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes