Why Did My App Use Cellular Data Instead Of Wi-fi?

merry

Recently I downloaded an app when connected to wifi at a community center so I could watch the World Series. Apparently that used my cellular data? It registered as using 40 mb from my app store at the time and date I did that. I thought when connected to wifi I wouldn't be using my data. Not true? So if I turn off my cellular data, would it give me a message that I can't download anything? What happens when I turn off that cellular data?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Cellular Data on Iphone

JohnB_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

I'm a big baseball fan as well Merry, and wouldn't want to have missed the World Series either. Managing your data usage is definitely important so I completely understand your concern. We can definitely help clear this up for you.

When connected to WiFi your cellular data should not be used. However, there are times when it can use your data if the WiFi connection is lost or weak. This is why it is recommended that you turn off cellular data when connecting to WiFi.

You also want to make sure that the WiFi Assist setting on your phone is turned off. If this setting is enabled it will allow the device to switch from WiFi to Cellular data when the WiFi connection is weak. You can visit http://vz.to/2ef5RkT and locate your iPhone model and view the steps to turn off WiFi Assist.

Turning off Cellular data will not affect the phone. It will only prevent your phone from accessing cellular data. You can still make/receive calls and send/receive standard text messages. We're here if you need further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

If you are on wifi, you can turn off cellular data and App Store and all data needs will work

Are you you sure your reading the data usage right?   Data use is from the time on the table to the next more recent time.

5:30P 20.45 MB

1:05P 40.34 MB

1:03P  0.15 MB

In example above, 40.34 MB is not used at 1:05, but anytime between 1:05P and 5:30P

0 Likes
Highlighted

JohnB_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

I'm a big baseball fan as well Merry, and wouldn't want to have missed the World Series either. Managing your data usage is definitely important so I completely understand your concern. We can definitely help clear this up for you.

When connected to WiFi your cellular data should not be used. However, there are times when it can use your data if the WiFi connection is lost or weak. This is why it is recommended that you turn off cellular data when connecting to WiFi.

You also want to make sure that the WiFi Assist setting on your phone is turned off. If this setting is enabled it will allow the device to switch from WiFi to Cellular data when the WiFi connection is weak. You can visit http://vz.to/2ef5RkT and locate your iPhone model and view the steps to turn off WiFi Assist.

Turning off Cellular data will not affect the phone. It will only prevent your phone from accessing cellular data. You can still make/receive calls and send/receive standard text messages. We're here if you need further assistance.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

merry

I haven't had the opportunity to try this again, but yes my cellular data was on apparently. I had no clue that was something I needed to do (turn off cellular data). However, my  WiFi Assist was off.

Thanks, I will pay attention to this setting in the future!

Mary

0 Likes