Highlighted

Why Am I Using Data While My Phone Is Off?

LDRnj-MA

I've been reading all these threads about this and even posted on an earlier thread, but am curious if anyone has had this issue corrected by Verizon, with Verizon actually taking responsibility for the data usage while the phone and mobile data is off. I am 12 days into my billing cycle and now have 32% of my data left. I have NEVER used this much and, in the past 2 months, have had data rolled over! I'm not doing anything different.

I called Verizon yesterday and after being on hold for a time, was hung up on. The second tech was very nice, but told me it was probably my router and I should call and they'll run some checks on my router. I'll do as they ask, and I'm sure they'll tell me it's my router and it needs to be replaced. However, I'll get a new router from the cable company, all the while having the data eaten up and then it will not fix the problem that Verizon has caused!

I am frustrated and, since I just upgraded, I'm stuck.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Data Usage While Phone Off

LDRnj-MA

So, after turning off all my background data, notifications and STILL having my data use going out of the roof, i went through EACH application. Seems as though when I got this phone, the Verizon rep set up the CLOUD for me and he so very nicely -- not -- had the Cloud updating hourly whether on wifi or mobile data.

So far, it seemed to have corrected the issue, but I don't trust it anymore and will continue to monitor the usage. My billing cycle starts Monday, so a fresh start....let's see.

View solution in original post

EXTRACAREMAN

Verizon is scamming us. We switched from Sprint to Verizon and our usage went from 8-10 gigs a month every month for a few years. To 25 GB a month overnight after switching to Verizon. Its a scam.

So far the only thing I've been able to figure out is that Verizon has our phones set to use mobile data even when we are connected to our own wi-fi, that alone is making them a fortune.

Who else is having this problem?

Community Manager
Community Manager

This is not the experience we want you have with us. I rely on my data too and I'm not a fan of data overage fees either. I will be happy to help get to the bottom of this for you. Has anything changed in the way you use your data recently? Is your phone's software updated?

JuanD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

LDRnj-MA

Nothing has changed in the way I use the data. I went from having 2 months of data rolling over, to having the mobile data turned off until the end of the billing cycle so I don't use anymore.

Interesting isn't it though? I find it very interesting that many of us have had our data usage sky rocket in the last month or so (with no change in our use), Verizon has not figured out what caused the usage surge BUT now offers an Unlimited Data Plan! vzw_customer_support​      Coincidence?

LDRnj-MA

So, after turning off all my background data, notifications and STILL having my data use going out of the roof, i went through EACH application. Seems as though when I got this phone, the Verizon rep set up the CLOUD for me and he so very nicely -- not -- had the Cloud updating hourly whether on wifi or mobile data.

So far, it seemed to have corrected the issue, but I don't trust it anymore and will continue to monitor the usage. My billing cycle starts Monday, so a fresh start....let's see.

View solution in original post

Re: Why Am I Using Data While My Phone Is Off?

FIREWOOD

For that last 6 months 20 -25% of my data (~1 GB) is being charged while my phone is off, in a Faraday bag and in a WiFi saturated environment between 11 PM and 6:40 AM. I've spent days analyzing my data use in XL and speaking to Verizon CS reps and techs. Verizon cannot identify the tower that the data is coming from.  It is bogus data.

My wife puts herphone in airplane mode overnight while charging. She is charged for data dung this period.

When I complain, Verizon comps me data as it goes over my plan. But it requires me to constantly monitor my data. 

I want Verizon to put me on a unlimited data plan until THEY can prove no data is being deducted during these times.

FIREWOOD

For that last 6 months 20 -25% of my data (~1 GB) is being charged while my phone is off, in a Faraday bag and in a WiFi saturated environment between 11 PM and 6:40 AM. I've spent days analyzing my data use in XL and speaking to Verizon CS reps and techs. Verizon cannot identify the tower that the data is coming from.  It is bogus data.

My wife puts herphone in airplane mode overnight while charging. She is charged for data dung this period.

When I complain, Verizon comps me data as it goes over my plan. But it requires me to constantly monitor my data. 

I want Verizon to put me on a unlimited data plan until THEY can prove no data is being deducted during these times.

0 Likes

sa45

This is happening to the phones on my account too.  We've never used all of our data and have often had roll over data.  I can see over the past couple of days while we're in our own home connected to our own wifi network, data is being deducted at regular 6 hour intervals around the clock on both of our devices.  How can this be accurate?  I'm not happy!

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Sa45,

We always want your data usage to be accurate and we can certainly understand your concerns. We can help here. How strong is your home Wi-Fi signal when you are connected? What make/model device do you have? Have you made any recent changes to your home Wi-Fi signal such as any password changes? 

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW

0 Likes