Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Re: Why Am I Being Charged For Data I Didn't Use?
Ann154
Expert

For Android devices it is the sleep policy or the data usage settings. Settings... Wifi... Menu (3 dots)... Advanced

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PEGKEL84

When I go to settings - Wi-Fi - Menu (3 dots) - Advanced I see the following options:

1) Install certificates

2) Wi-Fi Direct

3) WPS Push Button

4) WPS Pin Entry

5) Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections

6) Wi-Fi notifications and

7) Show Wi-Fi pop-ups.

I don't see anything about Wi-Fi assist.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert

Wifi Assist is the iPhone specific setting. For Android devices it is different. In your case, it is the "Avoid bad wifi connections" on your phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

ryanc_vzw
Verizon Employee

PEGKEL84,

Thank you for the helpful information. Your best option for your particular device would be here: Manage Data Usage - Moto Z Play Droid Edition | Verizon Wireless. Here's also an awesome link that helps: Tools for Monitoring Usage | Verizon Wireless .

RyanC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: charged overage for data that i did not use stop screwing me
ArtistCarl

The same thing is happening to me, starting this month… I am on a plan with my mom, and we got charged $30 in one month due to bogus overage charges. The first data overage occurred at 6 AM in the morning when both of us we're not even using our phones, and if we had then we would've been on Wi-Fi.  After we woke up we saw the message saying we were 90% into our data, and then another message which occurred while we were both still asleep that we had used all our data!

A few days later,  still on the same billing cycle, both of us being extremely careful to not use any cellular data, we realized that in 12 hours 400 MB were used, and her report states that 28% of her data usage was in gaming, she does not play any games!  She has not changed anything yet her data usage this month is 10 times more than last month. These charges are bogus!  I then read an article stating that this is happening to many people on Verizon,

Verizon data overages may stem from billing glitches, new network, apps | cleveland.com

...in one case someone being charged 38 gigabytes of use in one hour, something which is impossible. It appears to be a billing glitch that they have not acknowledged and people are getting charged illegally.  We will be calling today and if they don't reverse these charges we are simply going to switch providers before the bills get way out of hand like they have with some users.

0 Likes
Re: charged overage for data that i did not use stop screwing me
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I can understand your concern. Data usage does not require you to be holding the device and actively using it. There are many different variables that can contribute, including app updates or even delayed data reporting from towers that were undergoing updates or maintenance during the time data was used.

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
ArtistCarl

Not the case here.

0 Likes