Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Why Am I Being Charged For Data I Didn't Use?

I have 1 gb each month and my phone is set up to turn off data at 1gb and i turn it off previous to that there was one month i used 1.000 gb so i used exactly what i pay for and got charged overage two months later this bill I need to pay even tho everything was off and i was on wifi i used 1.008 even tho i turned date off and my dont did also i have everything restricted and yet theres times it uses almost a whole gb in a day everytime i talk to verizon they try to upsale me and get me to buy more data im half way thru this cycle and havent even used half my data i dont use it its rare so how do i keep going over and getting charged

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Why Am I Being Charged For Data I Didn't Use?

Sr. Leader

No reason to yell. The idea is actually a good one.

First on your cutoff at 1.000 GB. The problem is, as has been discussed here before is the family base cutoff is not exact enough to set your cutoff at exactly your max plan. Some data can come in after the counter hits 1.000 GB. It is generally recommended to give a 100 MB buffer or so, and thus prevent an overage situation.

Now back to the recommendation of changing the plan. Since you are already paying $5 for family base, and going from 1 GB to 2 GB is $5, but includes the safety mode, which will 100% prevent any overage, that is a smarter and better way to get what you want, which is prevent any additional charges for the same cost as you are paying now. You also get the benefit of carrying over for 1 month any data you did not use.

View solution in original post

Re: charged overage for data that i did not use stop screwing me

Sr. Leader

I don't know the name of your plan now or how much you pay (you didn't say) - but consider switching to the new Verizon plan Small - 2GB data with carryover and Safety Mode.  No overage charges, and any leftover of the 2GB each month counts towards next month.

If you use 1.2 GB in a month, the following month you'll have 2.8 GB.  If you typically use less than 1 GB (but occasionally come very close or go over) then the 2GB plan would fit, and give you a nice cushion should you ever need it.

Re: charged overage for data that i did not use stop screwing me

I DO NOT WANT A EMAIL TRYING TO GET ME TO GO TO 2 GB I DONT NEED THAT MUCH I RESTRICTED EVERYTHING AND TURN IT OFF INCLUDING PHONE BEING OFF AT TIMES [Removed] TRY TO UP SALE ME AGAIN KNOCK THAT [Removed]  OFF UR CUSTOMERS ARE NOT STUPID IM NOT ONLY ONE WHOS DEALING WITH THIS STOP BLAMING US AND FIX UR [Removed] ON TOP OF DATA IVE BEEN WITH VERIZON 5+ YEARS AND YET COME TO FIND OUT SOMEONE REDID MY ACCOUNT IN 2014 SO UR PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO [Removed]  AND WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT WHY AM I BOTHERING ON HERE CHARGING ME FOR THE 1.000GB EVEN THO THATS WHAT I GET IN MY PLAN IS 1GB I DIDNT GO OVER AND STILL GET CHARGED THATS THEFT I WILL B LOOKING IN TO CORPORATE AND CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT [Removed]

profanity and inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Sr. Leader

No reason to yell. The idea is actually a good one.

First on your cutoff at 1.000 GB. The problem is, as has been discussed here before is the family base cutoff is not exact enough to set your cutoff at exactly your max plan. Some data can come in after the counter hits 1.000 GB. It is generally recommended to give a 100 MB buffer or so, and thus prevent an overage situation.

Now back to the recommendation of changing the plan. Since you are already paying $5 for family base, and going from 1 GB to 2 GB is $5, but includes the safety mode, which will 100% prevent any overage, that is a smarter and better way to get what you want, which is prevent any additional charges for the same cost as you are paying now. You also get the benefit of carrying over for 1 month any data you did not use.

View solution in original post

ummmm im sorry but I have already looked at all the prices and none of them come out to only 5 dollars more so please redo your math

0 Likes

Sr. Leader

Going from 1GB on Verizon plan to 2 GB on updated Verizon plan is $5 more. So my math is fine.

You don't say what plan you are on, how much you are paying. so it is a bit hard to really help your specific situation.  Do you want help to try to prevent this from happening again or do you just want to complain and resist sound advice? 

0 Likes

it doesnt matter what plan im on im telling u everything is turned off i have gone over the data supposedly when phone was off and what plan im on loyalty  thats what its called and i am suppose to pay 50 plus tax should bring it to 55 its never once been the same and as for the 1 gb i shows when you go over even a lil bit if you go over.00008so no im getting charged for exactly 1gb overages verizon customer service even said i didnt go over 1gb would you like to explain that cuz they agreed with me on that yet still are not fixing the problem its not my plan its not something im doing ive restricted everything i always have the data turned off it shows ony a few % on like maybe 3-5 apps totaling less than 10% being used its somehow used data while the phone was off anything else u would like besides trying to upsale me to 2 gb cuz ive heard it plenty and first customer service person said i dont use my data they dont know why its going over so no its not me they are just to lazy to fix it and like putting more money in their pocket

Expert

It does matter what plan you have because the plan is what tells Verizon Wireless how to handle any overages you might have and how they are charged.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Customer Support

whitneymarci,

I can truly understand your confusion as to why you are getting overages when everything is restricted on your device. With the overage charges you received, let me explain a little more. If you were to use 1.008gb, then the system would charge you 1gb of overage because you used .0008 over the allotted amount. However, I would like to get more details to get you the best answers to your questions. Please check your inbox for a private message.

KatrinaN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

ya that month i was that much over dont know how i turned it off before i have the warnings set up theres other months that i was at 1.0000gb explain y i got charged for that

0 Likes