Highlighted

Where are these data overages coming from?

EB101

Recently I have started seeing regular uses of data every six hours on my home wireless.  This unit is the base for our home phone and provides WiFi to our home.  For the first several months with this set up we never went over 30GB of our 40GB allowance.  In the past two months though we are past our allowance half way through the month.  I have noticed that there are regular data usages every six hours - 1:33AM, 7:33AM, 1:33PM and 7:33 PM for example - although the specific minute can change from day to day.

At first I was thinking it was our DirecTV - but it turns out the DirecTV was never connected to the new WiFi.  I can see when we watch an actual movie - or when the kids are streaming a game - typically when we are home on a weekend.  What I can not figure out is where this data use is coming from.  When I tried a support chat with Verizon Wireless they said it is not possible to identify what the traffic is.  Can that be true?

Any thoughts on what could be causing our overages?  We just went over our 40GB today - and don't reset until May 4th.  This is driving me crazy!

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Data overages - can't figure out where they are coming from

Community Manager
Community Manager
EB101

We understand how important it is to understand data usage.  Although, we don't have the specifics to identify the actual usage for data we do provide customers a break down of data usage for each device.  You can view the data utilization tool online when you sign in to MyVerizon http://vz.to/1sa5vY4

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager
EB101

We understand how important it is to understand data usage.  Although, we don't have the specifics to identify the actual usage for data we do provide customers a break down of data usage for each device.  You can view the data utilization tool online when you sign in to MyVerizon http://vz.to/1sa5vY4

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

EB101

I've seen the report you linked to - but that only shows there is a problem.  Many nights we are "using" over 1GB of data while we are asleep.  This happens even when we are not home.  At one stretch we were gone for three days and used almost 6GB of data.  How does that happen? 

I've shut down all of our devices and changed the PW on the router to ensure there is nothing connected that I am not aware of.  What is extra strange is that we are doing nothing different than we were usage wise for the first several months on this new setup.  Suddenly last month we started using much, much more data than we were previously.

At this point we have the router shut down - which means our primary home phone number is also shut down.  That can't possibly be how this service is supposed to work.  At this point I am ready to cancel this service and just keep our cell phones.  It is turning into a disaster.

0 Likes

bmewmxw

This just started happening to me.  Any solutions?

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

It’s essential to get all the information about data use, so you can choose when and where to use billable data. We’ll do all we can to help you out. Can you share a few more details about what’s going on? What, specifically, just started happening? The more detail you can provide, the better.

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes