When will Verizon offer biometric or security key account options

DesertRat96
Novice

Has Verizon considered enabling biometric or security key options to increase customer account security?

In a situation where a customer account gets hacked because the problem person has your social security number, or gained access to your pin, how else can a customer protect their information? Like a former employer or coworker, or hackers? Even when password and PIN changes occur, a person can still claim to be you because of a sequence of numbers. Why not security keys or biometrics?

I currently use a security key on my laptop and biometrics on my mobile devices. When will Verizon consider utilizing these features?

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: When will Verizon offer biometric or security key account options

Community Manager
Community Manager

@DesertRat96

I can definitely understand your concerns with protecting your wireless account and security. I, too, am concerned about the number of ways my account and personal information can be easily compromised now days. I’m glad to inform you that we do now offer an option via your online My Verizon account to enable something called “Enhanced Authentication” or two-factor authentication, which when enabled, will keep your account protected. This will provide your account another level of security.

You can enable this feature online by logging into your My Verizon account. Click on “Profile settings”, and then under “Security”, click on “Enhanced authentication”. You can enable this feature here. I hope this information is beneficial.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

Salisbury

Hi DesertRat96, A few years ago it was easy to get into accounts with Verizon, AT&T etc. Where the user ID could be based on using the" account phone number" rather than a fictional name. A fictional name was more secured, as used predominately with email addressees. Because if anyone had your phone number they could then easily sign into your account.

How that was done is by using the phone number and then clicking "forgot my password" so the carrier would then let you establish a new entry. If a name was used rather than a phone number, far more difficult.

I had wrote about that some years back. Verizon then established using a PIN # which really helped security to accounts. Apple has done biometrics with their iPhones in the last couple of years.

0 Likes

DesertRat96
Novice

I just changed to "Enhanced Authentication". I would still prefer biometrics and/or hardware security keys. A hardware key is something that only I carry on my person, and generates very long codes.

The PIN option is only 4 digits. If someone knows you well enough, they'll eventually crack the 4 digits.

So Enhanced Authentication adds a whopping 2 extra digits for a total of 6.

Sorry, Verizon, still not impressed.

I just switched to Apple because the biometrics are better than Android (I kept redoing my fingerprints on the Galaxy S8 because they'd fail over time.) Many apps out there are allowing for Apple ID fingerprint or face authentication. My Yubikey is still my favorite because it's physical hardware that can generate 20 plus number sequences.

Come on, Verizon, as you can see, I'm not the only one requesting non-numeric authentication via SMS or email. Gotta step up that game.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We hear you loud and clear. We're sorry for any inconvenience. I will lift up this feedback to one of my leaders. Do you have any other questions or concerns at this time?

CoreyM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

DesertRat96
Novice

Thank you for understanding where I am coming from.

Please consider what Salisbury contributed to the conversation:

Back in the day, Verizon used nicknames instead of account holder phone numbers for logins. I agree this enables more security as well.

Awhile back my hayseed bank did the same thing: switching from numeric user IDs to nicknames, in addition to 2FA. This makes it more difficult for someone to compromise customer accounts when they don't know the nickname plus the password.

You used to do it, please go back to this login process in addition to improved 2FA options.

What would be the turnaround time for Verizon security to implement hardware/biometric enhanced security? And switching back to nicknames not phone numbers during login?

0 Likes

Ann154
Power User

I use a username instead of my phone number to log into MyVerizon account online. Are you sure that you can't create a username for your account?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

DesertRat96
Novice

When I came back to Verizon 5 years ago, I had to make my account with my phone number and not a nickname like with my old account.

0 Likes

DesertRat96
Novice

One more thing:

Would it be possible for customers to see their account login history?

Am I missing where to find that option if it's currently available?

0 Likes

DesertRat96
Novice

I looked over my account profile and I can create a user name. The catch is that on the login, the option to bypass that using the phone number is completely available.

Verizon needs to remove the option to use the phone number. That's how vindictive, or opportunistic, people can get in.

Even Apple's iCloud was recently hacked. That's why a utility company like Verizon should be offering more secure logins for customers that do not rely on SMS 2FA, but something more difficult to spoof.

0 Likes