Highlighted

What will happen to the primary line when I port out the other line on an old 2-line family plan?

I am currently the primary line on an old family plan with my mother (700 minutes shared, unlimited data for me, 2GB for her), but we are planning to port her number out to another carrier soon.  Her contract is over, but I am on contract until October 2015.  What will happen when I port her number?  Will our family plan automatically turn into an individual plan?  I want to avoid changing anything on my own line, since I don't want to lose my unlimited data, sign a new contract, or pay an ETF.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: What will happen to the primary line when I port out the other line on an old 2-line family plan?

Last I knew if you made any change to the plan the unlimited is gone for good. You would have to stay at the family plan pricing which will not automatically change

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: What will happen to the primary line when I port out the other line on an old 2-line family plan?

When I ported my husband's number out a month ago, it just took away his line and left our remaining 2 alone.  I didn't lose unlimited.  I've also been able to change our minutes up and down without affecting my data plan.  However, I'm wondering if it might be different going from 2 lines to one.  Theoretically it shouldn't, since I'm not signing a new contract, but I'm afraid to port since you might be right.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I just answered a similar question here:  dropping a line on nationwide talk share

And I'm not sure what would happen. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hmm.  Guess I just have to call and ask a rep.  We're eventually all planning to port out, but my contract isn't over whereas the other lines on my plan are (and one has already ported out).

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

It'll stay a family plan until you change it from what I remember. I had to change my plan when I logged in. Also I believe if you called in it would throw a flash where the rep can't help you until you choose a bad plan.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I guess that means unless I want to pay double for the mom's line or be forced to change my contract to one of their current plans, I need to wait until my contract is over and I'm also ready to port.  Then port both of us at the same time near the end of a billing cycle.  Which makes it really difficult to do because she and I live on opposite sides of the country.  They don't make this easy for us, do they?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

When I went to a single line I had the option not going into the newer plans, but then again I did it when the other plans were available at that time.  The difference between a single and a 2 or more plan is almost negligible at the time I thing the difference was $22.

0 Likes