What is the best way to use my device on a cruise?

RICHAR94

I am traveling to Hawaii next month and will be cruising on the Norwegian Pride of America. Any thoughts on the best way to utilize my Verizon phone service and not spend a bundle?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: I am traveling to Hawaii and will be cruising on the Norwegian Pride of America. Any thoughts on best way to utilize my verizon phone

Weth
Sr. Leader

Hawaii is not problem. Using your phone in Hawaii is no different than using it at home. There is no roaming charges in Hawaii. All calls, text, and data are included in your plan.

While on the cruise ship, if you have a Verizon signal from land, you can use that. But if you do not, things can get expensive fast. If you use the cruise ship cell signal, calls will be $1.79 per minute, text is 50 cents to send, 5 cents to receive, and data is really expensive at $2.05 MB - $2000 per GB!!!

When you are on land in Hawaii, use your phone as you would at home. On the ship, be careful and to be safe just turn it on airplane mode when you are on the ship so you don't get any of the very high roaming charges from the ship's services. Many ships have wifi plans these days, so consider that. Put the phone on airplane mode in the ship and only turn on wifi. Then when you step off the boat onto Kauai or Maui etc, turn off Airplane mode. Remember to turn it back on when you get back on the ship.

View solution in original post

Re: I am traveling to Hawaii and will be cruising on the Norwegian Pride of America. Any thoughts on best way to utilize my verizon phone

Weth
Sr. Leader

Hawaii is not problem. Using your phone in Hawaii is no different than using it at home. There is no roaming charges in Hawaii. All calls, text, and data are included in your plan.

While on the cruise ship, if you have a Verizon signal from land, you can use that. But if you do not, things can get expensive fast. If you use the cruise ship cell signal, calls will be $1.79 per minute, text is 50 cents to send, 5 cents to receive, and data is really expensive at $2.05 MB - $2000 per GB!!!

When you are on land in Hawaii, use your phone as you would at home. On the ship, be careful and to be safe just turn it on airplane mode when you are on the ship so you don't get any of the very high roaming charges from the ship's services. Many ships have wifi plans these days, so consider that. Put the phone on airplane mode in the ship and only turn on wifi. Then when you step off the boat onto Kauai or Maui etc, turn off Airplane mode. Remember to turn it back on when you get back on the ship.

View solution in original post

Re: I am traveling to Hawaii and will be cruising on the Norwegian Pride of America.  Any thoughts on best way to utilize my verizon phone

pherson
Leader

My suggestion is, what happened when you went on vacation years ago without phones? Oh yeah, do without. Turn the sucker off and enjoy your vacation.

0 Likes

Acrillix

I back this 100%, Hawaii is one of the 50 states. Alaska would be the only US location that is an issue, due to poor cell service and bordering Canada.

Be REALLY careful about using your phone on the ship. Its mucho expensive.

0 Likes