Highlighted

What happened to free call blocking?

pzjagd1
Novice

I used to be able to block up to 5 numbers free to all three of my phones. Now when I try, I get a message that my device isn't able to do that. I've done it in the past (same equipment) and it isn't done by the device anyway, but through Verizon.

Looks like Verizon is trying to push me into the $5 blocking service, for each line!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: What's happened to the free call blocking??

pzjagd1
Novice

Mystery (and issue) solved. It appears the CS rep was correct; I had to wait for my service change to complete to access call blocking again. As I said, I was changing from 6 Gb to 250 Mb (I use mobile hotspot at our vacation home and need the higher rate). My cycle reset today and the page to block 5 numbers for 90 days has now returned.

BTW, the CS rep yesterday offered to "undo" my change request to allow me access to call blocking. But since my cycle was to reset today, I declined.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

SickFreak

What I did was add those types of numbers to my contacts and then assign a blank ring (no sound) to those contacts.  They call, but since the phone's ring has no sound, I never hear it, so it doesn't bother me at all.  It's essentially blocking them.  I heard that with some of the newer phones, the phone device itself has the ability to block numbers, but I don't have any of them.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Are you still on a postpaid account or have you switched to a prepaid plan?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

pzjagd1
Novice

Still on post pay plan. Have changed nothing since I last used the blocking service. I have a blocking app on one of my devices, but one line is home connect, so can't use an app for it.

0 Likes

pzjagd1
Novice

One of my lines is home connect and the device on that line doesn't do that.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

The option is still available to block 5 numbers for free. I pretty sure I still have an active number being blocked, but I don't remember how to reach it through the MyVerizon.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

pzjagd1
Novice

Not for me. When I go to call & message blocking, up to 5 numbers for 90 days, I get "not available for the device associated with this cell number". Hovering over the "?" mark, I get a message "cell phone not compatible, you need to upgrade your device". This is on all three lines, a Samsung S3, an Apple 5, and the home connect device. Like I said, I've used this service before with these very same devices, so what is different now? I think Verizon just wants me to pay the extra $5 per month for blocking.

0 Likes

tikibar1
Sr. Leader

I haven't seen that error before, but I had an issue a few months ago with the blocking feature.  Apparently there was a system update about the time the blocks I had set up expired.  When I then tried to enter new numbers to block, the feature was no longer available, which I knew didn't make sense.  I called Customer Service, they restored the feature on all lines (there wasn't a way for me to do it myself on-line), and I was good to go again.  So, you might try calling Customer Service and have them check from their end.

0 Likes

pzjagd1
Novice

OK, gave customer service a call and here is the reply. I have a pending service change (6Gb data down to 500Mb) and that is what (they say) is preventing me from blocking calls. As soon as my cycle resets (tomorrow), it is supposed to be available again. I'll check back in tomorrow and let everyone know if it resolves. Thanks

0 Likes

clcoffelt

This wont help they did the same thing to me. I downloaded an app Mrnumber and i am able to block them all for free.

0 Likes