Highlighted

What does Communication and device services refer to when looking at data utilization on My Verizon?

When looking at my data utilization on my account it shows that 70% of my data was used for 'communications and device settings'. What exactly does this category refer to? I have only been with Verizon since February and am still adjusting from coming off a truly unlimited data plan. (however slow it was which was one reason for leaving that company) I have increased my data twice now and since this last time its like our data just runs out so quickly!! This time it shows we used 24gb of data within 15 days. I don't have wifi at work or home but still feel that its crazy to think that we have used this much! I have turned off many apps that use to data in the background and turned off my gps settings.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: What does Communication and device services refer to when looking at data utilization on My Verizon?

Community Manager
Community Manager

KUGO2, we hope to continue as your wireless provider for many more years. It's important to us that you understand how data usage is debited from your data allowance. Any data that's used while your device is connected to the Verizon Wireless network will use your monthly data allowance. This includes when you access the Internet, watch a video, check your email, play games, use apps (e.g., Facebook®, Twitter®, Maps etc.) and more. Background tasks, such as syncing or location services, may also use data.

Let's see what's using your data allowance directly on your device. Tap Settings>Cellular>Use Cellular Data For.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: What does Communication and device services refer to when looking at data utilization on My Verizon?

Community Manager
Community Manager

KARKIN99, thank you for joining the Verizon Family, we appreciate your loyalty. . I can understand you concern regarding your data usage. We will provide additional information on the Communications and Device service category. These are just some examples of what this category uses: Popular audio and video services like Google ads, windows updates, Pandasoftware, Skype, Facetime, Glaik, Viber, Scydo, Teamspeak, TunnelVoice, and Verizon Advanced calling-Video.

RalphT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have the same question and I don't use ANY of those things listed.  Google ads and Apple ios updates are the only possible things that fit in this category, but there hasn't been a sudden uptick in these.  I wonder why the very month that I change to a cheaper plan I am SUDDENLY lambasted with data sucking ads or updates?  Whereas for years before everything was fine???  I'm about to leave Verizon ... the service has gotten worse and worse and now I'm smelling a huge stinking rat!!

Highlighted

I have the same question - i've been with Verizon for years and I've never even come close to hitting the max for my data usage, but since I got an iphone 7 a few weeks ago I went over my limit in just a couple of weeks.  When I look at the category of use, this one is the largest by far.  I don't use of the programs listed here.  If this continues I'll have to look for a different carrier..

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

KUGO2, we hope to continue as your wireless provider for many more years. It's important to us that you understand how data usage is debited from your data allowance. Any data that's used while your device is connected to the Verizon Wireless network will use your monthly data allowance. This includes when you access the Internet, watch a video, check your email, play games, use apps (e.g., Facebook®, Twitter®, Maps etc.) and more. Background tasks, such as syncing or location services, may also use data.

Let's see what's using your data allowance directly on your device. Tap Settings>Cellular>Use Cellular Data For.

LasinaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: What does Communication and device services refer to when looking at data utilization on My Veri

not helpful

Highlighted

Re: What does Communication and device services refer to when looking at data utilization on My Veri

not helpful...

Highlighted

@ngawel wrote:

not helpful

You keep posting in old threads. You don't use that tool. You use the setting on your device that tells you which specific app used how much data. This isn't rocket science