What could make my data usage suddenly spike higher?

edakan

What could make my data usage suddenly spike higher?

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: What could make my data usage suddenly spike higher?

jacob_l123

Heres some things that may cause that:

I Would Look At Any New Applications That Have Been Installed On Your Phone. If any new applications use data in the background (to look for notifications, etc.), Or even auto play videos while in the app.

Next, look at your home WiFi and the settings on your device. In an unusual circumstance, your phone may loose connection with your WiFi, and may use 4g lte, which would increase your usage.

If you are on an iPhone, and not on unlimited, which I'm guessing you aren't, make sure that you have WiFi assist off, which may connect your phone to lte even while under WiFi.

Also, if you use your phone as a mobile hotspot, make sure you have a password on it, as you should be the only one connecting to it and using your data. Someone could connect to a mobile hotspot and increase your data, as unlikely as it may be.

Other than that, I recommend you have data alerts and limits on your phone if it is Android, so you can find where excess data is being used as it happens. Also, moniter your usage through your phones settings, although you may need some extra steps to do that if you are an iPhone user.

I hope you find the cause of the issue, and recommend going to a local corporate Verizon store so they can look at the phone and it's apps to recommend some data saving tips.

Thanks,

J.

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

I just noticed a much faster rate of data usage on my phone and myhusband's the last two days.  On mine, the photos app updated and background cellular data (upload over cellular in the background) was ON, resulting in a lot of data use.  I turned it off, and my data consumption slowed, and today hubby's is rising quickly.  I'll need to check his settings when he gets home tonight, because I'm assuming it's the same app, and doing the same thing.

It's not a whole lot, but in the first 5 days ofthe new cycle we've used 25% of our data, and at this rate we will go over before the end o fthe month.  I do have safety mode enabled, and a bit of carryover, but we are typically at about 10% usage at this point.  It's unsettling to see the data disappearing as fast as it is.

edakan

Thanks so much for your help. Can you tell me if your photos app is on an Android phone or an iPhone?

0 Likes
Highlighted

jacob_l123

I Some More Suggestions To Keep Unwanted Data Usage From Being Used, But It Requires Me To Know Which Type Of Device You Have. Apple, (IOS), Or, android, no matter which company or version. It's just best for us to know, as the two companies have very different ways.

Thanks,

J.

0 Likes

edakan

One phone is an iPhone 6S and one is a Samsung Galaxy Note5

0 Likes

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

edakan wrote:

Thanks so much for your help. Can you tell me if your photos app is on an Android phone or an iPhone?

Google photos on Android.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Perhaps we can find which applications are causing this, edakan. On the Note 5, you can go to Apps > Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data Usage. With the iPhone 6S you can go to Settings > Cellular and scroll down to "Use Cellular Data For" where usage will be located under the applications names. Would you be able to confirm what the top two applications for usage would be between the two devices?

HarleyE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes