What Does Data Mean?

JCGROUPER12

I know how this sounds but I am new to technology. Does the data just cover internet usage or more?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: data

Elements

Data covers any time the phone needs to get information transmitted to it from the cellular tower, except for calls and text messages. Browsing the internet uses data, but so will things like using GPS, downloading apps, watching videos (unless the video is saved on your phone), or sending emails (though emails won't use much normally).

That all counts as mobile data and will count towards your data usage. However, any time you're connected to Wi-Fi, which is signal from a nearby router, that data will NOT count towards your mobile data, as the data will be coming from the router instead of the cellular towers. I hope that explained it enough!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: data

Elements

Data covers any time the phone needs to get information transmitted to it from the cellular tower, except for calls and text messages. Browsing the internet uses data, but so will things like using GPS, downloading apps, watching videos (unless the video is saved on your phone), or sending emails (though emails won't use much normally).

That all counts as mobile data and will count towards your data usage. However, any time you're connected to Wi-Fi, which is signal from a nearby router, that data will NOT count towards your mobile data, as the data will be coming from the router instead of the cellular towers. I hope that explained it enough!

View solution in original post