Highlighted

Warning: No Data Overage Warnings or Notificiations

I just wanted to warn the Verizon community about an issue I recently encountered:

Both phones on my plan recently saw a random spike in data usage at an odd hour of the morning which used up most of our allotted monthly data. I have my concerns about how this could even have been possible, but that is not the crux of this warning.

I found out only yesterday - a full week after the data spike - that we had exceeded our monthly data limit. This issue is that we did not receive a notification that we had used 75% of our data, that we had used 90% of our data, that we had exceeded our data limit, or that we had used 2 full GBs of overage data. We only received our first message just before we were about to be charged for a third additional GB.

I have double-checked our data notification settings and verified that we are still set to be notified at each of the usage points listed above. I have also spoken at length with Verizon customer service.

Verizon will not refund the full overage amount.

TL;DR check your data usage on the website periodically, because the notification system is unreliable, the customer service is unhelpful, and you could get stuck with bad-faith charges that Verizon will not refund.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Warning: No Data Overage Warnings or Notificiations

Why aren't you on safetymode? This can be turned on from the app to prevent overage charges.

0 Likes
Highlighted

We have had Safety Mode turned off as we often travel for work - sometimes unexpectedly. In the past we have run out of data on the road and had issues running apps like Google Maps, Uber, etc. on reduced-speed data of Safety Mode. But that's really not the point of this post.

In the past we have been notified when we are running out, and when possible, we adjust to avoid the overage. When it is not possible, we are charged for the overage and I gladly pay it, because that is exactly what I signed up for. 

In this instance, Verizon did not notify us until nearly 3 GBs into the overage, and thus did not hold up their end of the bargain. We would not have used this much data had we been made aware, as they assured us they would do. We would have looked into why we experienced a data spike much earlier had we been made aware, as they assured us they would do.

Safety Mode is a different conversation. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

We want to ensure that you are able to easily manage your data usage, pmleb. Thank you for checking your usage alerts, I'm sorry to hear you did not receive these messages recently. Please know that these alerts are a courtesy to supplement checking your usage and we do offer multiple options to check your usage throughout your cycle. The easiest way to check your data usage is through the My Verizon app or by calling #DATA from your cell phone. While Safety Mode is a great option to turn on and off as needed, you are also welcome to change your plan at any time to fit your needs. Do you anticipate additional usage going forward? Have you considered an Unlimited plan: https://vz.to/3bugsBx to rule out potential overage altogether?

LaurenC_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Good morning,

Thank you for the recommendations, however as I told the customer service representative I spoke with yesterday, I will be terminating both my wireless and home internet services with Verizon, and moving on with other carriers. 

I do not consider a service which I have actively signed up for under a paid plan to to prevent this very situation to be a "courtesy." In fact, the webpage one would visit to sign up for these alerts does not state in any clear or visible manner that they are only a "courtesy" or that you simply may or may not receive them.

I am aware that there are other avenues by which I may check my data usage. However, if I am going to pay Verizon a high, monthly bill then I expect their services to function properly, or for them to take full responsibility when they do not. In this instance Verizon is either incapable or unwilling to provide me with either. As such, I have decided to take my money elsewhere, and warn other users about what they might expect.

Updated TL;DR: Check your data usage on the website or app periodically, because the notification system is unreliable and only a "courtesy" anyway. The customer service is unhelpful, and will just try to recommend you a more expensive plan when you complain, and you will still get stuck with bad-faith charges that Verizon will not refund.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Have you done the math comparing your current plan to unlimited?  I was paying an average $33 per line for 5 lines and 20 gigs.  Still am, only now with unlimited. 

0 Likes

I have done the math, and it is not cheaper. Thank you for your recommendation. 

Again, the size of my plan is not my issue here. I can move forward in any number of ways. However, all of them involve paying an additional charge that occurred because an advertised Verizon service did not function properly. 

As stated above, I will be moving on to another carrier for both my cell service and home internet needs, unless I am refunded in full. I have been a customer for 10+ years, and I do not think I am being unreasonable. 

Once again, this post is intended to serve as a warning to other like-minded customers who might believe that the alerts they signed up to receive are accurate or reliable. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Being able to manage your data is key. I know how much I rely on notifications for my son's usage, and would be equally concerned if I wasn't receiving the alerts. To best assist, I will be sending you a Private Message.

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

We sincerely hope you reconsider your decision. It is crucial to know your usage and to prevent this from happening in the future, we would like to recommend you My Verizon Mobile App, with Data Hub, you and your family will be on top of usage. Please tap in the link below to review additional details:

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/my-verizon-mobile/?cmp=KNC-C-HQ-NON-R-BP-NONE-NONE-2K...

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

I had the exact same issue around July 4. No warnings at all until 13 GB over. We typically turn the data off when we get the 1st warning. Not one was sent until I got the notice saying we were $195 over. When I called I was treated like I was a liar. I think it is Verizon intentionally doing this to push people into unlimited plans. 

0 Likes