Highlighted

Voicemail timestamp not updating based on phone(account?) location

I've noticed that since moving from the USA East Coast (where I got my phone number) to the West Coast all my voicemail timestamps are still reading east coast amounts when I dial in to check them.

I've seen multiple posts of similar issues and understand there's no golden fix for this(though there should be) but is there anyway I can get it changed they're all giving me west coast timestamps from now on?

All my account/service data I can find has been updated to my west coast address for over 2 years and still the voicemail timestamps are Eastern Time.

Thanks,

Highlighted

Re: Voicemail timestamp not updating based on phone(account?) location

You’d need to change your phone number to one from the west coast to have a pacific time zone stamp. The time zone for the voicemail service is based on where Verizon houses the switch for all phone numbers for your assigned area code. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

BladesBravo, it's important to us that you're getting the correct timestamp for your voicemail since you've moved from the East Coast to the West Coast. This isn't an issue we want you to be dealing with for two years already. Apart from the voicemail showing the incorrect time, is there anything else that's wrong with your voicemail? How do you usually check your voicemail?

- JesusG_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey JesusG, 

Nothing else is wrong with my voicemail, just an incorrect time when I dial in to check any new voicemails. 

I check them from calling *86 on my primary phone that I'm checking the voicemail for

0 Likes
Highlighted

If this is the correct answer why is the verizon rep below trying to still fix the issue then? Are you part of the verizon team who works on the voicemail system?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I did provide the correct answer. The other respondent is just doing what they're trained to do since this this a customer forum, and they're not a Verizon employee or in technical support, just outsourced online 'customer service'. 

[removed]

If you'd like further confirmation of the issue   (besides what you've already noticed of historically always having east coast voicemail time stamps with an east coast phone number) just travel to a different time zone (like mountain in New Mexico or central in texas) and you’ll see exactly the same thing, the time stamp from where your phone number is located.  

Content modified as required by @verizon_wireless_terms

0 Likes
Highlighted

Oh man you've gotta see the irony in all of this.

[removed]

Then there's you; someone who might be able to make a change, who can have a connection with the community but nah, we'll keep the voicemail team behind the scenes instead of adding new enhancements by listening to the customer.

I'll be sure to fly back to the east coast whenever I get a new voicemail message. Thanks for the help

Content modified as required by @verizon_wireless_terms

0 Likes
Highlighted

Or just use a west coast number if you want that time stamp. Personally when I had moved from Connecticut to California with the same number I just subtracted 3 hours from the time stamp to know what time a message was left in my time zone. 

The timestamp couldn’t be based on the phone’s location since that data isn’t used or required and not always available when voicemail messages are deposited by callers. If someone has their phone off, or if they’re not in a service area Verizon would have no way of knowing the location of the phone anyways which is common when people are leaving voicemails. The voicemail box is just a folder on a hard drive located where the phone number exchange is so that will always be the correct and consistsent time. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I saw you post a similar example in someone elses message, I think it should be noted I'm not the only one who finds this a weird "feature".

I'm not saying find my phone's location as the person is leaving a voicemail, that's crazy. I'm saying check my phones location when my phone is dialing *86 in to check voicemails. 

Voicemail Server: "Ok, I know the time zone I'm based in and (based on cell towers this call is coming from) know the time zone of the person who is checking their own voicemails. Let me do the date/time calculations on my end instead of making them try to remember the time zones"

What wrong with that logic?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I definitely don’t think it’s a weird feature request or question. I was just answering the question.  The reason why that wouldn’t be possible is due to the voicemail hard drive and software has no access to the physical location of the phone. It’s a saved stamp when the file is saved. 

0 Likes