Highlighted

Re: Verizon's lousy service after 16yrs of loyalty!

@,  "As a long time customer,  you should be well aware of how Verizon's contracts work."

Well, while I have been a long time customer, I just used to get the free basic phones every two years all these years.  Every two years, I found a new phone that was free on VZ site and there were no changes to my monthly bills.    Now that my spouse and I are going for the smart phone plan, this business of edge or just 2 yr contract free phone is a different new beast.  There is a LOT OF DELIBERATE confusion and I am basing it on the countless hours of chats/research I have done these past few weeks.  For example, you seem to think that if you don't want a contract, you have to pay full price or go prepaid way.  Nope, the VZ edge plan is contract free but you pay for the phone for 24 months.  So no one is an expert here and not even the VZ reps!  Trust me, I have written transcripts of how each one gives me diff info for the exact same question, depending on what they want to sell you!  I am not one of those people that doesn't question things, just pays whatever they say and walk out with a new phone without even understanding what I am paying for!  If you are an expert, explain to me why it's not advantageous to VZ to let me upgrade.  EVERY POLICY IS MEANT TO BENEFIT VZ OBVIOUSLY!  But it still makes no sense that they wouldn't just let me upgrade to smart phone.  IT'S LIKE THE OTHER PERSON HERE SAID, IF I TRIED THIS WITH MY CAR DEALER, THEY WOULD ROLL THE RED CARPET FOR ME!  THEY JUST DID LAST WEEK BECAUSE THEY LIKE MY LOYALTY TO THEIR BRAND!  My cable provider did the same, so what's with VZ?  PS: By the way, VZ will let me upgrade with the edge plan anyway I found out!  So all that drama about "we are doing you a favor" is a load of croc.  Additionally, the so called "free" LG G3 phone with the pad free is not great because you pay higher fees per month if you get the phone free.  But if  you pay full price for the phone with the edge, then you get a discount monthly and at the end of 2 yrs, your monthly fees drop!  So my point is there is a whole lot of stuff that people don't understand and they just don't take the time to question/understand.  Free isn't always the best for example...

0 Likes
Highlighted

@, You are dead wrong on your statement "You are not entitled to special treatment because of your tenure as a customer."!  Not sure who you work for but there is such a thing as loyalty and branding when it comes to many industries! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

My last status updates says it all.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

If you are in contract, you are paying for the phone.  $10 of every monthly payment is for the phone.   If you are off contract, you can get the $10/month removed.   So you are still paying the phone off and have not satisfied the entire contract cost.  

People forget get why there is a contract.   So no, we are not thinking the same.  You are trying to shorten a 24 month contract without paying off the first contract.   You would not get out of the last 6 months payments on a car. 

Highlighted

Maybe I missed something here....

In the car dealership example he was saying that you could NOT do that.  So citing him in your agruement dose not make since.  As fair as what you are saying to everyone else, if you truly are that customer in your statement: "I am not one of those people that doesn't question things, just pays whatever they say and walk out with a new phone without even understanding what I am paying for!" Then you would have red your contract.  In that you aggreed to keep service with that line for 2 years.  After that you are welcomed to do whatever you want.  You can't just change your mind whenever you feel like it.

When people were telling you about the prepaid options to stay out of contract, they were not saying that was your only way. There were saying that was a way, so you would not be upset now.

I am sorry, but you can't just change contract whenever you feel it does or dose not work for you. Make sure to never sign a contract again, becouse you are not that customer that understands and reads everything.  Everyone here (expect for you) are on the same page about this issue, wouldn't that mean you are wrong.

Highlighted

I must say i agree verizons inflexibility is frustrating. I am in the process of dealing with the same kind of issue. I am finding that going to another carrier is much simpler.I will take my 4 phone family and get new phones and cheaper service

Highlighted

I love how folks think that because they pay their bill on time that it should grant them some sort of special privilege...I just don't get that mentality...

Highlighted

@weth, I realize that I misunderstood your original statement but by then, I was unable to remove my reply.  In any case, I am not paying for the phone right now as that phone was free (very basic flip phone).  I am in a unique situation (first time in 16 yrs) where I have 3 months left before an upgrade but I need to switch now (due to business travel and other stuff) to a SMART phone plan which means I will be paying VZ a lot more money from here on.   For all those that think that I am trying to get something for nothing, you are wrong! I have kept my end of the bargain all these years, I am just looking for some flexibility.  No, I am not the kind to switch phones every 2 yrs, haven't done that ever.  I usually keep the same for 4yrs average.  I am not shopping for a new carrier every few months/years.  Didn't I say I have been with VZ for 16 yrs? Even when it was not the best for me at times......

0 Likes
Highlighted

You can be with them for 16 years or 16 days, if you sign a contract then you have to full fit it.  Can Verizon say, I think i'm just going to charge you more, so we are just going to change things?? it dose not work that way.  They hold up their end of the bargin and you have to also.

I am sorry, but 16 years with a company is great, but we are all on the same contract. Make sure to read things before you sign, so you do not end up like this.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Phone was not really free, just subsidized. You are paying $10 extra per month to pay back that subsidy!

Your only choice right now will be early Edge to a specific phone offered by Verizon. This may be a phone you may not want, or buy a smartphone full price.

Buying a smartphone full price upfront is actually not a bad idea, and does end up being cheaper in the long run than buying a contract phone!

Bottom line, Verizon no longer does any early upgrade, except for the Early Edge promotion with a specific phone of the month offer. You may be able to get a week early, but more than that has been a general no for some time now.

Verizon may not be the most customer friendly company, but they are not stupid. I am sure they ran the numbers and things are better financially by not allowing early upgrades, even with the loss of some customers that are upset they cannot upgrade early.

You seem like a reasonable person, we just don't see Verizon giving an inch on this on these forums or in real life.