Highlighted

Verizon is bankrupting me!!!

I signed up with Verizon wireless on February 5, 2015, for internet service.  With my contract I was to receive text and email alerts, informing me when I would be going over my allowed internet usage per month.  I was also told that I would be able to cancel my contract within 14 days, if I was not satisfied.    On February 14th, 2015 I received an alert, from Verizon, stating I had used 90% of my allowed usage.  I immediately shut the device down, and, on February 14th I returned the device to the Verizon store, where I had purchased it.  The location of Verizon wireless at; 7201 75th Street.  They said that my contract was canceled and that I would receive a prorated bill.   I received that bill....to the tune of $1732.32 .   I was never alerted that I had gone over my usage till February 14th, and that alert stated I had used over 90% of my usage.   I was never alerted about my going over, until I was $1700.00 over.   I am being told there is nothing to be done, and that I have to pay this bill.   Why should I have to pay this bill, when Verizon never alerted me until I was that much over?   This is a true story people.   I used Verizon for a total of 9 days, and apparently went over my usage to the tune of $1732.32, with no alerts, as promised.   Talked to people in the store, where I made my purchase, and to customer service.  Both tell me to talk with the other.  Or call to make payment arrangements.   Put yourself in my shoes.  How would you feel, if you did not get what was promised, and still have to pay $1732.32.   Stay away from Verizon!!!  They are just a bunch of crooks.   They do not live up to what they say.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Verizon is bankrupting me!!!

Assuming you have a More Everything plan the overage is $15/1gb, at that according to your charges you used about 113gb over your allotment which is about 12.5gb per day for 9 days.  This equates to watching 4+ full HD movies per day from netflix which is a ton of data, what did you use your phone for to use this amount of data?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Based on what Dilbertaz said they couldn't push notifications fast enough for you to even make a difference so thats a moot point. But really, what were you doing?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

You say you signed up for Internet services.  You don't mention a phone or MiFi/Jetpack device.  What sort of plan did you sign up for?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

How much data did you use?  Your lack of details tells us you are not completely innocent in this little endeavor that did not turn out quite like you expected.

Highlighted

I signed up for 16gb of data usage.  I told them in the store that I wanted the internet, not only for computer access, but also for Netflix.   They told me, when I signed up that 16gb would be more than enough for a month.  I fail to see, how I am at fault, when I told them, up front, exactly what I was going to use it for.  I stated that I watched about 3 to four hours of tv, per day, and they stated that 16gb would be plenty.   So, when I received the first email, stating I had reached 90% of my usage, I shut it down, and estimated, by what I was quoted that I may have gone over a couple of GB.   How is someone supposed to know that they went over $1700.00,   By what I was quoted, again, by the representative,  16GB per month was ample.   I was supposed to be alerted at 50% usage, not alerted after I had already exceeded  that much.    I shut down when I was told I had used 90%, not 500%.  No alerts until I got that high, is just totally unacceptable.   

0 Likes
Highlighted

I did not use my phone.  I was using the Jetpack from Verizon.   The push notifications, is not a moot point.  If I had received an alert when I had gone over, to begin with, I would have shut it down earlier.  The time that had elapsed before the first alert, was a week late.   Again, never received any alert until February 14th.  If I had gone used that much, I should have been alerted a lot earlier.   Especially since I was told that my plan would be more than enough. If I had not been mislead to believe 16GB was good for what i wanted, I would have never signed up.  So, again, I don't think the alerts, that I did, or did not receive is a moot point.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

You are at fault for not doing your own research. Doesn't matter what someone told you. Netflix's own website states you'll use around 3 GB per HOUR. You could have gone there and looked that up or done a Google search. Even without doing that COMMON SENSE should have told you that you can't watch 3-4 hours of Netflix a day on 16 GB a month. Seriously you thought you could watch 100+ hours a month on 16 GB? How much data did you think Netflix used? 4 hours day is 120 hours a month and you though you could do that on 16 GB?  That would be 300 kbps. That would be like a low rez YouTube video from 2007. Why do you think that you bare ZERO responsibility for your high bill? Were you prevented from doing research?

A google search for "how much bandwidth does Netflix use" produces a top result of

Watching Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. This can create headaches for Netflix members that have a monthly bandwidth or data cap on their Internet service.

and a link to How can I control how much data Netflix uses?

We have used as much as 600 GB a month, most of that Netflix and other video streaming. If you want to do video streaming you need regular internet like cable internet or DSL. Mobile data is not meant for watching hundreds of hours of video per month. If you want to watch 4 hours a day of Netflix even if you set the bandwidth to 720p( still HD )you'll need about 200 GB a month. Plus whatever else you might use your connection for.

Highlighted

I don't buy that.  Verizon as an entity misleading people is not there fault.  You obviously work for the company.  The average american, as a consumer, being blatantly lied to, has no merit.  You say I should have researched?  My research, was me asking the people I am trying to do business with, and they lied.  Bottom line.  And regardless, they were supposed to send me that alert, and did not. 

"We have used as much as 600 GB a month, most of that Netflix and other video streaming. If you want to do video streaming you need regular internet like cable internet or DSL. Mobile data is not meant for watching hundreds of hours of video per month. If you want to watch 4 hours a day of Netflix even if you set the bandwidth to 720p( still HD )you'll need about 200 GB a month. Plus whatever else you might use your connection for."   This is what you quote,  Verizon should have given me this same information.  

I was blatantly mislead.    Lying to the, Naive, consumer, is never a good excuse.  I canceled my contract.   And, since obviously, every thinks that I am a dumb ass, and deserve these charges, it just goes to show that is entirely okay, for an entity like Verizon to get away with misrepresentation.   I should have received that alert on February 7th, not the 14th.   You cannot tell me that I deserve these charges,  because I was lied to, and not alerted when I was supposed to be.   Does that alert, that I was promised, not mean a damn thing.    Before you totally condemn me, I still did not get that alert early enough.   So you that work for Verizon, could have been more honest with your consumer, and not let them get in so deep without that alert.   I may be a bit at fault for not doing the research, but I still say Verizon hung me out to dry. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

And, by the way, I would have loved to see that on Verizons web-site.   Oh yea, could not access their website.  For security purposes, they had to send me a password, via postal mail, so I could access there site and view my account.  If I had waited for that email, I would have not been able to cancel the contract because the 14 day trial would have expired.  Then what? I would have been stuck in that 2 year contract, and the bill would have gone over $2000.00.  Just another way for Verizon to stick their customer.   I still say where was that first damn alert.  Every other entity can send you a password, via email.  Regardless that I did not research, as you say.  I am not totally at fault here.  I will take some fault, but I still did not get alerted in the timely manner that I should have been. 

0 Likes