Highlighted

Re: Verizon doing away with 2 year contracts

Novice

Yeah that's not going to do it for me, I can't afford to pay full price on a phone, either keep my old phone or go to a basic one.  This really sucks I was looking forward to getting the new galaxy 6, well I guess in my dreams now.  Thanks Verizon for nothing........

Highlighted

Not applicable

debgram1 wrote:

My contract is up on the 29th, and I wanted a Galaxy 6, but I can't afford $600.00 for a phone even on payment. We're paying 120.00 a month now for 1 basic phone , tablet and smartphone. This really sucks. I don't really care too much about the data, I don't use it hardly at all but the price for the phone is what gets me. I could pay the $199 for it but not no $600

You do realize the phone was never $199. I'm not sure how you can't afford the phone. Under the new plan your line would be $20, the tablet would be $10, they don't say how much the basic phone would be but certainly not more than $20, the phone cost would be $25 a month and 1 GB of data would be $30. That's $105 plus taxes/fees. That's not anymore than what you pay now. Also instead of paying $200 plus a $40 upgrade fee plus sales tax on that stuff you'd just pay the sales tax on the phone upfront which would be cheaper than $200. In fact if you were willing to put $240 down for a 2 year contract put that as a down payment and you'd lower your monthly payments from $25 to $15-$18. So then you could afford to get the 3 GB plan and not pay any more than you do now.

If you want to be mad at someone for the high cost of phones blame the phone manufacturers not the carriers. Also all carriers are going this way. T-Mobile ended subsidies 2 years ago. At&t you can only get a 2 year contact at a at&t store or online a their sites. Third party retailers( Best Buy, Amazon, etc ) you can only get payment plans or full price. And you can't get subsides on iPhones AT ALL. Sprint still has them but you have to ask they don't promote them. They promote their lease option.

You can also save $10 a month by getting a wi-fi only tablet. How many times do you use the tablet on Verizon's network anyway? And for the time you do need it you can use your phone as a hotspot.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

I have 2gb of data now, shared between my phone and tablet.  The 199.00 would be for the 2-year contract. My bill is $120 plus some odd cents, I have insurance included plus my husbands work 14% discount and it's still $120.  Actually I just looked at my bill, we pay $122 a month.  Basic phone 24.50, my phone 53.13 and tablet 10.14

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

$40 - 2GB

$40 - smartphone line access on 2 year contract

$20 - basic line access on 2 year contract

$10 - tablet access line fee

$110 + taxes and fees

$199 for phone + $40 activation + tax

After 2 years you pay: $2,879 + taxes and fees

If you did the device payment plan it would look like this:

$40 - 2GB

$25 - smartphone line access

$20 - basic line access

$10 - tablet

$23 - monthly device payment plan (lasts 24 months)

Total after 2 years you pay: $2,856 + taxes and fees

You would have to pay the taxes for the phone up front on the device payment plan, so you actually would probably break even or spend a few dollars more than a 2 year contract, just depends what your tax is.

The bonus is you don't have to come up with the $270 ish for the phone up front like you do on a 2 year contract.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

So your saying that even though the phone is $600, I will be charged $25.00 a month then my added lines which activation fee is gone, and I think it's  $45 for 3gb data, plus my insurance and it still should be the amount I'm paying now?

If I'm paying for the phone monthly does that mean after 18 months or so I can change phones?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

debgram1 wrote:

I have 2gb of data now, shared between my phone and tablet.  The 199.00 would be for the 2-year contract. My bill is $120 plus some odd cents, I have insurance included plus my husbands work 14% discount and it's still $120.  Actually I just looked at my bill, we pay $122 a month.  Basic phone 24.50, my phone 53.13 and tablet 10.14

Ok So you could get on the new plan and you line would be $20, the basic phone no more than $20 the tablet $10. Insurance is what $10 a month? 3 GB of data is $45 but you'd get a discount of 14%( you won't get it on the 1 GB plan ) so $38.70 for the data plus $25 for the phone if you don't put a down payment. So there you have a total of $123.70 not counting taxes which will be less than what you pay now. Maybe $10. so about $133. If you opt for the 1 GB data plan it would be about $125.

And yes I know the $199 would be for the 2 year contract and you'd also have to pay a $40 upgrade fee and sales tax on that $240( say 8% for example ). So probably close to $260 total to get a phone on a 2 year contract. So if you were willing to spend $260 on a 2 year contract phone take that $260 and put it down on the phone on the payment plan. The phone would be about $648 with tax( assuming 8% you don't state what sales tax is in your area ) that leaves balance of $388 or $16 a month. Dropping your month cost to $116 on the 1 GB plan or $124 on the 3 GB plan.

In any case you can most certainly afford the phone without paying significantly more than what you pay now.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

debgram1 wrote:

So your saying that even though the phone is $600, I will be charged $25.00 a month then my added lines which activation fee is gone, and I think it's  $45 for 3gb data, plus my insurance and it still should be the amount I'm paying now?

If I'm paying for the phone monthly does that mean after 18 months or so I can change phones?

You only pay $25 a month if you choose to pay the $600 over 24 months ( $25 x 24 months =$600 ). You can always choose to pay for it all upfront. Then of course there wouldn't be a monthly payment. You can get a new phone anytime you pay off the current one.You don't have to take 24 months to pay off the phone you can pay it off anytime you want. So after 18 months you'd still owe $150 so pay the $150 and you can get a new phone.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

why wouldn't I get the 14% discount?  We were getting it when we both had basic phones. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

Is this not until after the 13th? I didn't read through this whole thing. If after the 13th and you want the medium plan.

$38.70 - 3GB (inc discount)

$20 - smartphone line access

$20 - (assuming) basic line access

$23 - device payment plan

$11 - smartphone insurance

$112.70 + taxes and fees

The new pricing isn't in affect until the 13th is my understanding...

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

oh so you still have to pay off the phone?  Not like what the Edge plan did.  So actually having to pay the phone off is like a 2 year contract anyway.

0 Likes